Request for a "getLocations" API method

Original Post
Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, Colorado · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 904

Hey Mountain Project team!

I'd like to build a tool that I think would be both interesting and helpful for MP users. Essentially, the tool would be like this "how far can I travel in X hours" tool: freemaptools.com/how-far-ca... , but would be a "which Mountain Project areas can I get to by driving up to X amount of hours".

I often use Mountain Project's area map alongside the aforementioned tool to figure out which new areas I may be able to reach on a weekend, and think it would be neat if they were combined.

To achieve this, I'd just need a "getLocations" API method, which (at a minimum) returned the Name of the location, the geographic coordinates of the location, and a URI to the location.

Cheers,

Ryan

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 2,304
Ryan Nevius wrote:Hey Mountain Project team! I'd like to build a tool that I think would be both interesting and helpful for MP users. Essentially, the tool would be like this "how far can I travel in X hours" tool: freemaptools.com/how-far-ca... , but would be a "which Mountain Project areas can I get to by driving up to X amount of hours". I often use Mountain Project's area map alongside the aforementioned tool to figure out which new areas I may be able to reach on a weekend, and think it would be neat if they were combined. To achieve this, I'd just need a "getLocations" API method, which (at a minimum) returned the Name of the location, the geographic coordinates of the location, and a URI to the location. Cheers, Ryan
I'll put this on our list as a "quick hit" little project that we might squeeze between bigger ones.
Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, Colorado · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 904

Thanks Nick!

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5

Bump for this.

I was just working an an academic project to map user activity on a per climb and per area basis. I needed to use third party data to scrape locations from each route page and this data would be extremely helpful in the future if it was handled in the API. 

The project caught the attention of several park managers and researchers who are very interested in the data for future applications and asked to have the project presented at meetings in the fall. The information has suggested to be used to direct funding and employee efforts to areas where highest impact would occur, therefor minimizing climber impact on trail systems and infrastructure. 

Thanks for putting it in the works Nick!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply