Mountain Project Logo

Any engineers that tried to make their own climbing shoes rubber?

Original Post
JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 130

I'm just curious to see if some one tried to make some.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Nope when the rubber on the market is so good, it would be more expensive, more time consuming and less good to DIY. Plus I think it's a chemist, maybe chemical engineer (not any other engineer), that would to pursue this endeavor.

John Tex · · Estes · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 25

He didn't ask if it was more efficient. He asked if anyone has tried. And I'm sure someone has.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 465

Also he simply said "engineer", so he could be talking about the guys that drive the big trains.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

Charles Cole, founder of Five Ten created stealth rubber.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

Compounding synthetic rubber is a VERY specialized field, and I suspect only those active in that industry would have any chance of doing anything. A generic chemist/engineer coming up with a suitable rubber would be akin to an industry outsider developing their own motor oil or house paint.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200
Gunkiemike wrote:Compounding synthetic rubber is a VERY specialized field, and I suspect only those active in that industry would have any chance of doing anything. A generic chemist/engineer coming up with a suitable rubber would be akin to an industry outsider developing their own motor oil or house paint.
Charles Cole did it while going to school and climbing nearly full time. After he created a compound he thought worked well I believe he got financial backing from a Chinese or Japanese company called Vertical. Pretty much as close to a home grown business as you can get.
JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 130

Also, Evolv that was started in a garage and has their own rubber. I think Butura was started in a garage too. Maybe, they didn't use it for their earlier shoe models.

I was at Home Depot looking gym floor rubber and the .25 rolls looks and feel pretty sticky to me. Probably not good rubber for climbing shoes, not hard enough to hold an edge. Once I fix my grinder I will resole my old shoes with it and practice falling :-)

Ps I will eventually learn English before I kick the bucket

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply