Rack additions for the Gunks

Original Post
Duvallms · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

So my first trip to the gunks is coming up this spring. I have a decent all around rack with cam doubles, a set of nuts and a set of tricams. Would some offset nuts come in handy, or doubles for the tricams? Thanks!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 525

Nah, you're fine.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

You should be fine with your current rack, I climbed there for years with a single set of nuts, cams, and a couple tricams. If you're going to be leading harder climbs you'll want to be sure you have small gear. Also make sure you have enough alpine draws, you're going to want to extend nearly everything.

Michael89 · · Doylestown, PA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Lots of slings, I carry ~12 shoulder length (mostly as trad draws) and 1 to 3 double length depending on the route.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 297
Duvallms wrote:So my first trip to the gunks is coming up this spring. I have a decent all around rack with cam doubles, a set of nuts and a set of tricams. Would some offset nuts come in handy, or doubles for the tricams? Thanks!
How small do your cams go? A lot of people like to carry at least a few pretty small ones. I typically carry at least a single set of C3s down to 000.

Definitely +1 on the Alpine draws and double length slings. Between the roofs and the traverses, slings are incredibly handy in the Gunks.
Duvallms · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Thanks! I'll add some double length runners. All set already on the shoulder length and small gear. Bring on those roofs!

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

There's usually a few gunks rack threads each year. Here's a recent one that covers the topic relatively well, and should help you decide on the offsets:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/minimal-gunks-rack/112308924

We use/like offset nuts, but they're not necessary (we climbed at the Gunks and elsewhere for many years without them). I can't think of a route that requires (2) of the same tricam.

Max Forbes · · Vermont & Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 114

Skip the cams take a triple rack of tricams and at least 6 pinks and you'll be squared away.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

My first trip to Zion in 1986 we had a Gunks rack. heavy on the small nuts and rp's. that was a bit of a terrifying shock........

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 355
Max Forbes wrote:Skip the cams take a triple rack of tricams and at least 6 pinks and you'll be squared away.
Only 6 pinks? If he carries 10 draws, what's he going to use the other 4 for?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply