Yosemite this Spring

Original Post
Jjensen · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 25

Don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying all the white fluffy stuff this month, but I'm starting to wonder about the Yosemite trip we're doing in early April. This will be my first time in the valley, so I'm wondering how the record snowfall in the Sierras will affect climbing, hiking and overall sightseeing that early in the season. Any ideas?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Jjensen wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying all the white fluffy stuff this month, but I'm starting to wonder about the Yosemite trip we're doing in early April. This will be my first time in the valley, so I'm wondering how the record snowfall in the Sierras will affect climbing, hiking and overall sightseeing that early in the season. Any ideas?
It will greatly depend on the weather the week prior to your visit. South-facing climbs will dry the quickest - Manure Pile Buttress, Five Open Books, El Cap base routes, etc.
Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 460

You didn't say if you were doing any walls.

With a heavy snowpack, there will still be drainage on many walls due to melting snow, especially in April.

It also depends on the storm cycles in April. We went to Yosemite in May in 2010 and the storm cycles were every 5-7 days, with 4-6" snow on the valley floor, and pretty cold. It would take a couple of days for falling ice to clear off the valley rim, and with queues on big walls it made it tricky to top out before the next storm cycle. But the good part was it was beautiful - first time I had seen the valley look like those foggy/stormy Ansel Adams photos.

If you are just doing shorter climbs, or you can do NIAD, you will be OK.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply