Mountain Project Logo

5 tips for the becoming of social media star!!!

Original Post
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

5 tips for becoming a social media star? the laughing it is out loud!!!!

outsideonline.com/2149346/5…

#1 and #5 are seem to be a lie "sandwich" doing the pushing back at the sad truth that continually broadcasting of your climbing for the likes and the sponsoring and payment is neither "authentic" nor "natural or organic." Are you smoking the funny stuff?

6) to become star, you also may utilize revealing clothing to make up for the lack of notable talent, and if you are ugly or only of average appearance, you may kiss your chances goodbye.

Perhaps you just enjoy climbing if you are not pro athlete, and do not need pretend on instagram to your uncle bob or cousin rickie-jimmie that you are pro climber needing copious photos of your sick proj every time climbing? And if you are pro athlete, admit that it would be soul-sucking and and takes away from the reason you began climbing in first place, like silent thief in the night, to maintain a social media "brand" on your own climbing and utilizing strategery to insert sponsor brand names into each posting?

you are getting off on my lawn!

all your flash are belong to me!

#rei #blackdiamond #mammut #wildcountry #madrock #liveclimbrepeat #tradisrad #bouldering #climbing #rockclimbing #sculptedguns #neckmeat #backmeat #neckandbackmeat #fishheads #angrycampusing #slapinfacewithfrozenfishconsiderablesize #forearmsrefreshedatcrux #Iwillbiteyourdogandbaby

Derek S · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 70

What's the point of #climbing if I'm not getting likes and followers?

Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Can we get #neckmeat trending on instagram?

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

#tocommunityforum

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Number 6. Wear a Red Bull color coordinated helmet. Everyone knows how badass those are.

Rico Tan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 100

#cheesssteak #frozenfishheads #forearmrefreshedatthecrux

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Free solo free climb the nose, instance media star I bet.

Greg Tennyson · · Roseville · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 65

It's always funny to see uninteresting people bitch about people sharing their lives on social media. Why do you give a shit?

Some of you sound like the band geeks in highschool who'd try to make fun of the popular kids but secretly wanted to be one.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Greg Tennyson wrote:It's always funny to see uninteresting people bitch about people sharing their lives on social media. Why do you give a shit? Some of you sound like the band geeks in highschool who'd try to make fun of the popular kids but secretly wanted to be one.
I see no bitching, I see social media whores being made fun of.

Go ahead and act like you'd say no if The North Face and La Sportiva were going to PAY you to go some where exotic to climb and all you had to do was let people take photos and put them on the internet.

I whore out on social media and I love it. Haven't punched a time clock in six years and I'm only 32.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Greg Tennyson wrote:Go ahead and act like you'd say no if The North Face and La Sportiva were going to PAY you to go some where exotic to climb and all you had to do was let people take photos and put them on the internet. I whore out on social media and I love it. Haven't punched a time clock in six years and I'm only 32.
I turned down multiple snowboard related sponsorship offers over the years because the logistics of filming/shooting photos ruins the whole thing for me. I'd much rather prefer to work my 9-5 and just enjoy my hobby in the meantime. I also use my social media to make fun of using social media half of the time.
Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

Yeah, you whore out on social media and everyone here is making fun of you for it. Glad we're all on the same page. (side note: Whoring out photos of yourself climbing to be a pro is what the op is talking about. You seem to be a photographer, which is a completely different topic)

Greg Tennyson wrote:Go ahead and act like you'd say no if The North Face and La Sportiva were going to PAY you to go some where exotic to climb and all you had to do was let people take photos and put them on the internet. I whore out on social media and I love it. Haven't punched a time clock in six years and I'm only 32.
Yeah, the North Face and Sportiva are always looking for 5.8 gym climbers to send around the world, just post a bunch of crap like its a job and keep hoping! Is it that one should act the part in hope of really living the part?

Outside magazine is a consumer driven ass rag, it figures they would print garbage like this. BTW, what does the fact that you have not punched a time clock in 6 years have to do with this conversation? Do you make money on #s and @s?
T Roper wrote: Yeah, the North Face and Sportiva are always looking for 5.8 gym climbers to send around the world, just post a bunch of crap like its a job and keep hoping! Is it that one should act the part in hope of really living the part? Outside magazine is a consumer driven ass rag, it figures they would print garbage like this. BTW, what does the fact that you have not punched a time clock in 6 years have to do with this conversation? Do you make money on #s and @s?
I'm a photographer by trade (not a climber) and I've done work for a few of the social media personalities you probably all hate. They make a great living promoting all kinds of shit to an engaged audience.

My point is, if someone was going to pay you $10,000 to post a photo of you climbing to instagram, every fucking one of you would do it.
Chiatt wrote:Yeah, you whore out on social media and everyone here is making fun of you for it. Glad we're all on the same page. (side note: Whoring out photos of yourself climbing to be a pro is what the op is talking about. You seem to be a photographer, which is a completely different topic)
I've worked with more than a few athletes who owe their success to a large following, not raw talent and I don't understand why it makes everyone angry all of a sudden, it's been happening for decades. Anna Kournikova was a mediocre tennis player but she was hot and people liked her so she made millions of dollars because she appealed to broad audience.
Greg Tennyson wrote: I'm a photographer by trade (not a climber) and I've done work for a few of the social media personalities you probably all hate. They make a great living promoting all kinds of shit to an engaged audience. My point is, if someone was going to pay you $10,000 to post a photo of you climbing to instagram, every fucking one of you would do it.
Thats not what is being made fun of here. Outside magazine and all the consumerist REI "outdoorsy" media whores are, at least in my mind. All the best climbers worked their asses off to become media stars, hell, most of the gang cruising around the world taking pictures of them and fluffing the pads did as well.
Greg Tennyson wrote: I've worked with more than a few athletes who owe their success to a large following, not raw talent and I don't understand why it makes everyone angry all of a sudden, it's been happening for decades. Anna Kournikova was a mediocre tennis player but she was hot and people liked her so she made millions of dollars because she appealed to broad audience.
mediocre tennis players dont get into big tournaments because they are hot
T Roper wrote: mediocre tennis players dont get into big tournaments because they are hot
You're right. The fact that she's smoking hot had nothing to do with her commercial success. People also don't make millions of dollars posting to their social media. It's all a lie.

• eye roll*
Greg Tennyson wrote: You're right. The fact that she's smoking hot had nothing to do with her commercial success. People also don't make millions of dollars posting to their social media. It's all a lie. *eye roll*
yes, certainly being a top 100 in the world tennis player for many years had nothing to do with it. She was no fraud. That would be like me saying almost all "pro" photographers are trustfunders who dont have an artistic bone in their body, just lots of time to buy expensive gear and use it to post crap 24/7. That would be BS right?
Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

#2 is funny.

The whole point of instagram is to spray about how great your day was.

#humblebrag

T Roper wrote: yes, certainly being a top 100 in the world tennis player for many years had nothing to do with it. She was no fraud. That would be like me saying almost all "pro" photographers are trustfunders who dont have an artistic bone in their body, just lots of time to buy expensive gear and use it to post crap 24/7. That would be BS right?
Ehh, I wouldn't say almost all; but theres a significant chunk of photographers who fit your description.

You need to understand that when you see social media personalities post you're watching a commercial. You're not looking at organic content. Instagram is just another avenue to reach a very significant consumer base that doesn't watch TV or read print mags.

The unfollow button is right there at the top of their page if you hate it that much. I'll also point out that the girl who wrote the article you're all bitching about climbs harder than most of you.

Mocking someones success just makes you look like a jealous asshole
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "5 tips for the becoming of social media star!!!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started