Mountain Project Logo

Summer Climbing Destinations For Road Trip?

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Riley Evans 1 wrote: -Shelf Road
Just so the OP knows shelf is a winter crag in Colorado. Trying to climb there in June would be not fun.
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Regarding New Mexico, as a local, I think that I have to say that although we have tons of small, great crags, really none of them are truly destination worthy.

JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30
John F Kelley wrote:You'll need rest day or even just on the road, make sure to look for cool hikes, places to stop. I've done a couple 6-7 week long trips. Sometimes weather sucks, so you move on or go hike in the rain. By an $80 annual national park pass if you stop in any natl parks, they are good for most any other federal land too. Seems like you live in CA. Driving all the way to east coast for the Red, New River, Linnville gorge, foster falls - those are all great places. But man that's a far drive. Even with two ppl and in a bed in the back of my 4Runner, it's a long drive. Personally, I'm probably wouldn't go east of CO. So much to do/see this side of the Rockies. Hell, even go into Canada for epic Adventures. Constantly check weather forecast every potential spot you may go next. Check out: freecampsites.net - sometimes they suck, sometimes they are awesome. Either way the price is right. Near smith Rock - there is bolted climbs around Mt. Hood. At elevation, some get shade of the trees too. Frenchs Dome, Bulo Point. Some nice views from the top.
Rest days and hikes are things I haven't even thought about yet haha. I'm glad you brought it up, because I would definitely enjoy some good hikes along the way. Good call on the park pass as well! I will definitely be stopping at the parks for some sight seeing. I don't want to just drive without stopping to each area, that would drive me nuts. The longest drive I've been on is 7 hrs lol. I wish I had a bed in the back of my ride, but I'm taking my little 4 door Corolla haha. Again, thanks for the reference to freecampsites.net I'm looking to save a few bucks when I can as well.
Great advice!
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
RichBeBe wrote:I went on a two month road trip last summer and tried to get a lot of climbing in, though it also had motorcycle riding and visiting friends. Needles/Mount Rushmore, SD July hot but not unbearable, then became unbearable Devils Tower July, got lucky as I hit a cold day. Puffy and fleece layer Grand Tetons July hot until got high enough up Salt Lake City area July way too hot, barely got any climbing in Smith Rock July super hot, but dry and when in shade not that bad Lost my ID so could not go to Squamish which sounded like heaven in August East Side, Tuolumne August perfect weather SLC August Still too hot Moab Aug even hotter could not climb Rocky Mountain National Park Aug too wet, but temps were good Needles/Mount Rushmore Late August nice temps, warm but not unbearable Of course every summer is different
SLC in the summer: other than dawn patrols, evenings, and a few cooler areas like Ferguson Canyon, most of us SLC locals head to higher elevations during July and August. The Uintas are around a 90 minute drive and all the climbing is above 10K' and 30 degrees cooler.

No one sane climbs in Moab in August.

Remember that in our arid high plains (technically we're not a desert), the day keeps getting warmer, with the high temp often occurring around 5-6pm. It's not like other areas of the country where the high is 2-3p and then starts cooling off.
John F Kelley wrote:Seems like you live in CA. Driving all the way to east coast for the Red, New River, Linnville gorge, foster falls - those are all great places. But man that's a far drive. Even with two ppl and in a bed in the back of my 4Runner, it's a long drive.
+1
When we lived in central CT, we drove to Yosemite several times in a Toyota long bed pickup - straight through with one person driving and one sleeping in the back. Total travel time was always right around 60 hrs. If the OP is on a one month trip, solo, traveling to and from the east will consume 40% of that time.
Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90
the schmuck wrote:Regarding New Mexico, as a local, I think that I have to say that although we have tons of small, great crags, really none of them are truly destination worthy.
From da bayou, they're all destination worthy.
Brian M · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155

Gonna piggy back on this thread.

Looks like some great suggestions so far, trying to something similar but on my way out west (northern route) check out Devil's Lake and City of Rocks. Anybody know what the summer conditions are like at these two places ?

Thanks

-Brian

thebmags wrote:

Looks like some great suggestions so far, trying to something similar but on my way out west (northern route) check out Devil's Lake and City of Rocks. Anybody know what the summer conditions are like at these two places ?

City of Rocks can get pretty hot in the summer - mid-90's is not uncommon - , but with the multiple aspects there and at Castle Rock State Park next door, it's also pretty easy to follow the shade. It's arid, so don't skimp on water.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Summer Climbing Destinations For Road Trip?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started