RED RIVER GORGE south book discontinued?

Original Post
NateNelms · · Cookeville, Tennessee · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Whenever I have been to the RED before I have always used MP for beta, or had someone with access to the RED RIVER SOUTH book..I have been injured for a while and not around the scene. In planning a trip for Spring Break I was looking into purchasing one but can not find any leads through the internet. Is this book discontinued? Replaced? Thanks!

apdale · · Lexington, KY · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 33

New book is in the works and should show up soon, almost certainly before spring break. Someone else may have a more specific date.

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Any idea if the new book will include Miller Fork, or is he keeping that separate?

apdale · · Lexington, KY · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 33

My understanding is that Ray is not writing the new RRG South book. I haven't heard whether Miller Fork will be included or not.

DrRockso · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 181

A friend and RRG resident, Blake Bowling is authoring the new South guidebook, I believe Ray's name will stay on the guidebook since he retains rights to all the route info from previous editions.

Blake stopped taking submissions for new routes a couple months ago so I suspect the book will be out sometime this summer, hopefully earlier.

The 4th edition south guidebook is out of print in anticipation of the new one coming out, which seems to have made it quite hard to find. Perhaps I could be convinced to sell my 4th edition at a premium :P

The new south guidebook will include PMRP, Motherlode, Muir, Natural Bridge Region. It will NOT include MFRP which will continue to be a separate book.

5th edition RRG South guidebook cover
Congrats to Colette on making it on the new guidebook cover!!

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
DrRockso wrote:It will NOT include MFRP which will continue to be a separate book.
That's unfortunate, although I suppose not unexpected.
davidbr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 10

The Miller Fork book is worth it for the artwork alone.

March.

Raiden · · Royal Oak, MI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 4,480
amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

Rakkup pushed update for RRG South. Update includes a lot of new routes.
Just checked, "Drive By" topo from Rakkup matches RRCGuide entries

I made Excel sheets for each crag at the Red, here is link to google drive
RRG folder

RRG.zip contains all of them.

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 140

Hey people, if anyone has tried our web link (Wolverine Publishing) and found it not working, sorry for the inconvenience - we had a little crash, but you can still get the Red River Gorge guidebooks from us. The new RRG South volume is in and looks great. Thanks! - Jeff Achey, Wolverine.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply