Hanging Straps

Original Post
Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

At my gym I see these nylon straps roughly 1" wide hanging by the hangboards. Sometimes I see people do 1 finger hangs and pullups on them. Does anyone know what they are called? Tried googling but idk where to even start. Bonus points for anyone who has resources on how to train with them.

Thanks

Tony Monbetsu · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 535

I think you're talking about slings

Dylan Graves · · Livingston, MT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Could also be TRX bands, right?

https://www.trxtraining.com/

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

Slings? Insert finger(s). Engage lats and biceps and pull down

Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,240

Hanging straps? Did you want to

play?

jdereks · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30

Yeah I think those are trx bands. Webbing works as well.

Stich wrote:Hanging straps? Did you want to play?
Negative.

The straps I was talking about do look like webbing. I guess I was more looking to see if there were any training routines that incorporated them. I imagine they would be treated the same as pockets.
Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,240

Ask the gym people sometime where they got the idea to put those up. We have all sorts of shenanigans at our gym from boards with holds bolted to them to Jacobs Ladders. It's like a never ending Ninja warrior thing. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just improvised one day for the hell of it.

Stich wrote:Ask the gym people sometime where they got the idea to put those up. We have all sorts of shenanigans at our gym from boards with holds bolted to them to Jacobs Ladders. It's like a never ending Ninja warrior thing. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just improvised one day for the hell of it.
I have seen them in training videos with Eric Horst, so not entirely improvised I don't think. I have never seen anyone actually use them in person but I might ask and let y'all know. I kind of have the same amalgamation of Home Depot training supplies in my basement.
Dana Bartlett · · CT · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 890

Look on the Iron Mind website, ironmind.com. Click on Grip and then Open Hand/Finger devices. I think what you want are the Eagle Loops.

JP Whitehead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

The strap (usually just a runner or sling) is used to train single arm strength. Using one or two fingers in the strap supplements the other arm with a percentage of your weight, and can help you to build up to one arm pull ups eventually. Girth hitching a 60cm runner or sling around your pull up bar is all ya need!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply