Edelrid Nineteen G 19

Original Post
Zach Ciaglia · · Normal, Illinois · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 33

I have noticed a lack of discussion about this 'biner. Calling anybody who owns, has used, has a friend that has used, this 'biner to write about their experience with it.

- Pro's / Con's -
- Where it shines / blows -
- Camp Nano 22 comparison -
- Big Walls / Alpine / Ultralight backpacking -
- Anodization to C4s -
- why nobody uses keychain 'biners -
- Gramma hanging pots -

Happy Discussing!
~Zach

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I have them for racking biners for my cams smaller than a #1. They are small but I've found them to be nearly comparable in clipping ease compared to the BD Oz that I use on my #1-#6. The biggest con to me is the snaggy nose when unclipping. This is my complaint for this type of carabiner in general, not just the 19G. In that respect, the BD Oz is vastly superior because the wire hood keeps the nose from snagging when unclipping.

Also, there is a little bit of discussion about them on the Camp Nano 22 thread: mountainproject.com/v/camp-...

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an... · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0

They rack my offset cams. I can't clip the for shit when trying hard. Much lighter in hand than even Nanos. They will wear out quickly and are hard on your rope.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Too small to be useful. Shockingly large usability difference between the 19G and the Nano 22.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 228
Noah Yetter wrote:Too small to be useful. Shockingly large usability difference between the 19G and the Nano 22.
As is normal around here, I've found the exact opposite. Every one of my non-locking biners is a 19g, besides the ones on my sport draws. One on every cam, for my nuts, and my 10 alpine draws. I have used them since they first came out. I did buy a dozen Nano 22s and used them for several days, and I personally couldn't tell any improved handling over the 19g. Maybe I just got used to the 19gs. I have had a couple 19gs develop sticky gates, but some cam lube fixed em right up.
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I use them with my cordellete and as a accessory biner (gloves and stuff) they are great for my local area as at every belay you will usually find at least one manky piton that's been beaten the shit out of so the tiny nose works fantastically for that. I haven't used the draws though i imagine they would be absolutely fine for trad, haven't racked any cams on them as to expensive for me, I pay £25 for the ocun kestral pack of 6 or i can pay £46 for the edelrid pack of 6 you do the math, I will keep with my cheapo kestrals, maybe next time I need a rack pack i might buy look into them some more.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply