Climbing in Cuba Feb. 10-20

Original Post
Rene De Santiago · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Hello everyone. I will be going to Cuba Feb. 10-20 and would love to do some rock climbing. if anyone has information/tips/recommendations on guides please let me know. Also, if anyone is going to be there around that time and would be interested in climbing or just meeting up let me know.
Cheers!
Rene

Sketty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

If you're going to be in Vinales (the most developed climbing area), then there are five local guides who would be more than willing to help you out. Henry is the most well-known of the group, but they all know eachother - it's a relatively small town and everyone knows eachother. The 2009 Cuba climbing guidebook also lists a lot of helpful resources.

At night at 9p-10pm in the central plaza in Vinales there is always a gathering of local climbers to discuss plans and beta for the next day. Since there is very limited cell service and WIFI, this has become the de-facto meetup spot and there will 100% be people there every night. Just ask around and you will quickly be able to find the climbers (if you can't already tell from the approach shoes or clothing logos).

If you have your own gear, just head to Cueva Larga in the morning or Cueva Cabeza de la Vaca in the afternoon and you will encounter tons of climbers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply