Mountain Project Logo

Homemade Dry Ice Tools

Original Post
Vincent M · · Kalamazoo, MI · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35

Has anyone made a homemade knockoff of the dry ice tools sold by Furnace Industries?

I'm currently stuck in southwest Michigan looking for something to do in between bouts of climbing at the gym.

If anyone has undertaken a project like this I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I made one. The rubber part is an automotive accessory belt. The rubber layer on this is not sticky like the real DI tools' belt. Mostly I made it as a gag. But it seemed to work.

Two layers of 1/2" plywood

Standard Nomic-type grip shape

Oh yea...

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I made some too. For me the loop was a plastic coated steel cable. Quickly enough it had a wrap of athletic tape around it.

I made it oversized to take up similar volume as a gloved hand on a normal tool.

It was a fun project. I ran a wall at the time so I didn't need permission to use them. I used them all the time. I think it helped with lockoffs and long reaches.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

That's pretty cool, man. Good chiseling technique!

JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

A friend made a pair using two pieces of oak sandwiched together then cut out and shaped. I lost the photo he gave me last year of them, else I'd post it for you guys. I'm going to make a pair tomorrow for myself.

Tyler Lotz · · HOLLY SPRINGS, NC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Gunkiemike wrote: I made one. The rubber part is an automotive accessory belt. The rubber layer on this is not sticky like the real DI tools' belt. Mostly I made it as a gag. But it seemed to work.

I’m trying to make a pair for myself, but I can’t find any dimensions for the sizing. Can you help me out and let me know how big yours is? Thanks!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Tyler Lotz wrote:

I’m trying to make a pair for myself, but I can’t find any dimensions for the sizing. Can you help me out and let me know how big yours is? Thanks!

Sorry I can't get pics right now, but there are at least two sizes. I've been borrowing a set at the gym, and enjoy them enough I nabbed a pair on sale at REI. The sale ones were "Icicles", and are smaller (kid sized??). 

Anyway, on the icicles, the strap is 19" total, to the center of the bolt on each side. The grip, between the triggers, just fits my hand, at only 3" inside measurement. The other tools are larger. The handle is about 3", top of the trigger to the slight angle, then about 4" up to the strap. 

Thickness is close to 3/4", and width is about an inch. The larger tools are probably 4" longer, I'm guessing. I think you could work out a design based on measurements that work for you, and photos.

Hope this helps at least a little!

FWIW, the icicles were only $25 at REI.

Best, OLH

Bobby H · · Michigan · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

If your in southern Michigan, head to Peabody's ice climbing in Fenton. He has ice and dry tooling routes that you can use regular tools on. Let me know if you ever need head out there 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Homemade Dry Ice Tools"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started