Hunting for a Sun-protection sweatshirt

Original Post
Brian Matusiewicz · · Bridgewater · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 35

I've been looking for a specific kind of sweatshirt. I found it at ems but suddenly it was discontinued. ems.com/ems-mens-techwick-f...; /27771400040.html
Here's the link just for reference. I'm looking for a super light, water resistant "sun protection" hoodie/sweatshirt. Catch is, for what I'm wearing it for I need a full zip. I've seen similar sweatshirts from kuhl, OR, Patagonia, etc. But they're all at most 1/2 zip. Does anybody out there know of anything that fits what I'm looking for?!

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

I was on the hunt for the same thing - UV protective shirt that was long-sleeve, zip-up, with a hood, but as cool and breathable as possible.

Found this:
https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/product/womens-airism-uv-cut-mesh-zip-up-hoodie-164466.html

I was skeptical since it's not an outdoor kinda brand, but my brother spoke highly of their tech clothing and for $30 seemed worth a shot. I love it. Exactly what I needed, comfortable, functional, and a great price. Hope that's helpful!

ETA: just noticed the water resistant part of your request. This isn't, though it is quick drying.

The water resistant was more of an afterthought. And what you posted looks perfect but they don't appear to have a men's version...maybe I should have added that to my original post. My bad.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Huh, that surprises me. Well, you could always just buy a larger size and call it "unisex". Women do that all the time. ;)
Seriously though it's not that fitted and doesn't include a bra or anything so depending on your size might work fine.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 183

This might fit your requirements: gearexpress.com/rab-zephyr-...

brianszero · · southampton, new jersey · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

Search "rash guard hoodie"
I surf a lot and when I go to Nicaragua in winter with my pale winter skin they work great for the first few days to minimize sun exposure. Mine are half zip but you may be able to find full zip .

Awesome! Thanks! The zephyr jacket looks awesome and I found a rash guard sweatshirt in full zip. Now I just have to decide between the 2. Or get both. Thanks for the help.

BigRed11 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 713

Check out Patagonia's sun protection line - I have had their sun hoodie (I think designed for fly fishing) for 4 years or so of regular climbing - including OW groveling - and it has stood up incredibly well. It stays cool in some pretty serious heat.

C B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-sunshade-technical-hoody/52657.html

This sounds like what you're looking for.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r0-rashguard-hoody/81650.html

Or this.

Patrick Shyvers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15

OR makes something they call sunsleeves, there's a few options

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/spectrum-sun-sleeves.html

Have a pair, haven't had a good day to try them out yet. I'm hopeful they could be more ventilating than any full sleeve shirt or jacket.

mike again · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 40
Brian Matusiewicz wrote:I've been looking for a specific kind of sweatshirt. I found it at ems but suddenly it was discontinued. ems.com/ems-mens-techwick-f...; /27771400040.html Here's the link just for reference. I'm looking for a super light, water resistant "sun protection" hoodie/sweatshirt. Catch is, for what I'm wearing it for I need a full zip. I've seen similar sweatshirts from kuhl, OR, Patagonia, etc. But they're all at most 1/2 zip. Does anybody out there know of anything that fits what I'm looking for?!
My $.02 is that you might consider whether you are looking for one piece that does too many things.

I have been using the sunshade hoody. Tried all the patagonia offerings and found I preferred the fly fishing version to the "technical" version because it's a bit lighter and therefore more flexible for summer use.

Why do you need it to be full zip? I wear the sunshade as a t-shirt with the primary function of keeping the sun off and temps down - it is brilliant and I think I've worn it on every non-winter climb since I bought it. In the summer I clip a wind shirt to my harness and I'm good for evening descents or in case of light precip. I layer insulation on top of it when needed, and it functions well enough as a base layer - comfortable even if it's not the luxury of fine merino. And you can put a merino t-shirt under it if you like..

lembert dome

I am trying to get something that does everything. I'm white. Polish, German and Irish. I only tan in my farmer parts. The wife and I travel a lot, specifically to national parks. I want something to protect my lovely fair skin from the sun. Full zip comes into play when I wear my chest holster. So it's gonna be for hiking, climbing and gun toting. So maybe I do need multiple jackets. Maybe I'm asking too much. I just hate spending money on something I won't get multiple uses out of. But I may have to settle. I have found a few full zips here and there but they are very limited for some reason. Some aren't in my size. Some are butt ugly. And I found 1 that the description sounds promising but doesn't have a picture.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

Seriously how much sun gets through a regular non UV sweatshirt ? Are y'all vitamin D deficient? A little color ain't gunna kill ya, at least not for a few years.

Don Ferris · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175
Kevin Mokracek wrote:Seriously how much sun gets through a regular non UV sweatshirt ? Are y'all vitamin D deficient? A little color ain't gunna kill ya, at least not for a few years.
A regular sweatshirt would block plenty but it would be hot as fuck. A thin polyester will block enough UV to keep me from getting burned from being in the sun all day as the only layer and is less of a hassle than sunscreen. A light colored one will also keep you cooler than being shirtless as you are essentially in the shade as well as by the effect of evaporation from collected sweat.

Trust me, I used to just suck it up and burn real bad the first few times in the spring. My complexion hardly darkens but I would become more resistant to the next burn. Now, at the ripe old age of 26, most people guess I'm in my mid thirties. It's better to cover up from the sun if your ancestors didn't tan much.

All that being said, my favorite sun hoody is the Patagonia tropical hoody.
Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 290

I have an ultra light long sleeve shirt by Under Armour that's perfect for climbing and keeping out the sun. It's only half zip though.

I'm not sure if full zippers work very well with really light material. It's too floppy which might make it uncomfortable with a full zip.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply