say goodbye to public lands

Original Post
Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/bureau-land-management-federal-lease

Can't wait for Yosemite to become Orangelandia!!!

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

you're quoting "the guardian" lol...ok!
I'm not for our public lands being sold off to highest bidder, but that^ paper is about as "left leaning" as Snoop is in his deuce

regardless of source, the facts are real

federal lands are about to be given to states en masse, and the states with Yuge budget shortfalls will sell to the richest of rich. they will inturn lease to oil, gas, cattle, mining.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

Start a campaign to get money to buy any lands that are going private. Start with Outdoor gear/clothing companies. Use blackmail/shaming tactic, any outdoor company that doesn't donate 2% of their profit to the fund, put them and their sponsored athletes on social media full blast.

ICTOAN Bond · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

It's my literal nightmares coming true. The wilderness I live near is just going to become timber land.

Valerie Bachinsky · · West Sand Lake, NY · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 15

This makes me feel a tiny bit better. I just hope he's true to his words.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/ryan-zinke-interior-secretary.html?_r=0

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Sad to report, one of our Idaho dudes was on the short list for Interior, and he was very proud to state that he would "unlock public lands". This, where mineral rights already trump wilderness designation. (And yes, my autocorrect capitalized Trump)

But, one tiny bright spot Westerners need to remember: Sportsmen. Please, this is the time to ally with folks you may not entirely agree with, to keep public lands public.

Pay attention to your own state, as this moves along, and pursue those alliances asap!

Here, climbers are a tiny fraction of outdoor users, but vast amounts of our state are an outdoor playground, and are very valuable to the state economy if they are kept that way.

Best, Helen in Boise

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 15

IF you don't align with the Hunters and 4x4/ snomobilers you will lose it all.

Aaron T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:Sad to report, one of our Idaho dudes was on the short list for Interior, and he was very proud to state that he would "unlock public lands". This, where mineral rights already trump wilderness designation. (And yes, my autocorrect capitalized Trump) But, one tiny bright spot Westerners need to remember: Sportsmen. Please, this is the time to ally with folks you may not entirely agree with, to keep public lands public. Pay attention to your own state, as this moves along, and pursue those alliances asap! Here, climbers are a tiny fraction of outdoor users, but vast amounts of our state are an outdoor playground, and are very valuable to the state economy if they are kept that way. Best, Helen in Boise
+1. I used to be a hunter, they were the first conservation activists.

But also, don't get too worked up. Oil, Natural Gas, and minerals worth harvesting aren't found just anywhere.
Cory Furrow · · Blacksburg, VA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Oh my, I knew it was a matter of time before this article circulate MP. It was definitely written to arouse fear. It leaves out many details that provides a supportive debate.

BigB is right: "you're quoting the guardian"

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5

The standard tactic of Trump supporters: attack the source, not the facts.

Cory F wrote:It leaves out many details that provides a supportive debate.
since you are so enlightened, what are the details that are missing?
T Roper · · DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 730
Old lady H wrote:But, one tiny bright spot Westerners need to remember: Sportsmen. Please, this is the time to ally with folks you may not entirely agree with, to keep public lands public. Pay attention to your own state, as this moves along, and pursue those alliances asap!
This is what it all boils down to now.

Posting partisan memes on the internet will not change anyone's mind, bring both sides closer or help our public lands. Now is the time, especially for the westerners with all the public land up for grabs, to pay attention and unite. To really get things done it may be time to forgo that trip to the ski resort or the crag/gym once in a while and protest. Shit may be about to hit the fan...
John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888

Stop drinking the coolaid people.......

After eight years of hope and change why would the Fed possibly need to dump public lands on the States?

I live in an oil producing State and I have to say the green energy windmills are a hell of a lot easier to spot than the wells.

That's what you need to worry about, windmills all over el cap and half dome.

I'm getting older and a tram ride down to the Trump lodge for a steak after doing the nose would be awesome! JB

John Barritt wrote:Stop drinking the coolaid people....... After eight years of hope and change why would the Fed possibly need to dump public lands on the States? I live in an oil producing State and I have to say the green energy windmills are a hell of a lot easier to spot than the wells. That's what you need to worry about, windmills all over el cap and half dome. I'm getting older and a tram ride down to the Trump lodge for a steak after doing the nose would be awesome! JB
we arent talking about OK or Texass, we are talking about giving away public lands for oil and gas, its not the same.
John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888
T Roper wrote: we arent talking about OK or Texass, we are talking about giving away public lands for oil and gas, its not the same.
Ohhhh....it's valuable public land, not OK or Texass (the extra s is funny) That's different then.

Some 1000 sq. ft. well sites scattered around the desert aren't going to do anything but create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve roads in the area and reduce our dependence on the Saudis.

Here's some fun questions;
Who is giving the land away?
Who are they giving it to?
Why are they giving it away?
What makes you so sure there's oil and gas there?
Why couldn't Obama stop them?
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5
T Roper wrote: This is what it all boils down to now. Posting partisan memes on the internet will not change anyone's mind, bring both sides closer or help our public lands. Now is the time, especially for the westerners with all the public land up for grabs, to pay attention and unite. To really get things done it may be time to forgo that trip to the ski resort or the crag/gym once in a while and protest. Shit may be about to hit the fan...
Nice post. I agree.

With respect to windmills vs. wells, wind is a compromise given that it is renewable, which oil and gas are not. Why wait until the oil runs out and then build the windmills?
John Barritt wrote:Ohhhh....it's valuable public land, not OK or Texass (the extra s is funny) That's different then. Some 1000 sq. ft. well sites scattered around the desert aren't going to do anything but create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve roads in the area and reduce our dependence on the Saudis. Here's some fun questions; Who is giving the land away? Who are they giving it to? Why are they giving it away? What makes you so sure there's oil and gas there? Why couldn't Obama stop them?
Whats the percentage of public land in OK that one would be worried about? 3%?

So when the Gov. of Utah/AZ/CO/NM/NV gives the BLM/state forest land to the billionaires that paid for their campaigns so they can receive subsidies from Uncle Sam for "exploration" you will be OK with this, great.
Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 37

Exploration is already happening all over public lands. That's the easy part. Mapping and geophysical surveys can be done with little oversight. Getting the permits to drill exploratory wells is a little harder, but oil/gas and geothermal companies don't want entire mountain ranges. They just want well site land and transmission/pipe line space. It is in fact sun and wind that we have to worry about taking out entire mountain playgrounds. It's all good in moderation, but who gets to decide what type of land can remain public: climbers, hikers, atv'ers, hunters? Ranchers?
Of course, there's also military site expansion (army/navy in particular). They are constantly trying to expand, and could have the necessary capital to do so. I'd rather extract useful resources from the land than just bomb the heck out of it.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
T Roper wrote: This is what it all boils down to now. Posting partisan memes on the internet will not change anyone's mind, bring both sides closer or help our public lands. Now is the time, especially for the westerners with all the public land up for grabs, to pay attention and unite. To really get things done it may be time to forgo that trip to the ski resort or the crag/gym once in a while and protest. Shit may be about to hit the fan...
Thanks, t roper.

Guys, my state has wilderness larger than some states, okay? I've lived here since 1980, and this has always been a struggle, use of resources, no matter who is running Washington.

One of the big ones lately is a proposed exploratory gold mine in the Frank Church River of No Return wilderness. Wilderness. Roads, open pit mine, the works. All it takes is mineral rights that predate the wilderness designation. Blocked in court for now, at least.

But, I also was here when wolves were going to be reintroduced, decades ago. My friends were BLM, Fish and Game, and Audubon society folks, usually the same people. That whole thing was quietly thrashed out between conservation organizations, the government agency folks actually on the ground here, and the cattlemen's, livestock, and sportsmen's associations. Then, out for the "public" to comment. But they worked together to get it done. Why? Simple fact: these people all really knew and loved their public lands, and they were the ones who knew that, guess what? The wolves were already here. If the locals didn't work it out, then they'd be stuck with some pencil pushers plan.

So, pay attention locally, working with actual people. And fight hard to keep partisanship out of it. Us versus Them is almost always a complete loss for the vast majority.

Best, Helen
John Barritt wrote:Stop drinking the coolaid people....... After eight years of hope and change why would the Fed possibly need to dump public lands on the States? I live in an oil producing State and I have to say the green energy windmills are a hell of a lot easier to spot than the wells. That's what you need to worry about, windmills all over el cap and half dome. I'm getting older and a tram ride down to the Trump lodge for a steak after doing the nose would be awesome! JB
thanks for your policy suggestions for the west from Oklahoma

Your state is fvcked on every level and the deplorable meth heads still managed to vote against their own interests. oh, yeah OrangeHitler will have all those jobs real soon, just you wait.

We in CO would like to keep the state's economy booming and our public lands free, thanks. There is this thing called 'tourism', that is when people come to your state to visit because it isn't shitty like the one they live in.

Enjoy your Trump steak
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply