Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva Finale - How much stretch?

Original Post
anotherclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 70

Hey people,

I'm looking at a purchase of La Sportiva Finale climbing shoes. But I'm wondering how much they stretch? Just from looking at it at the gear shop it appeared to be an unlined leather upper. La Sportiva's web site says the upper is leather and microfiber which has me wondering. The former stretches, the latter probably not since it is synthetic. This is the first shoe I've tried that I can fit really snug without it being unbearable or painful, but how much it stretches is going to dictate how much I downsize on them. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!

Travis Bieber · · Spearfish, SD · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

I love my finale, about to send them in for a resole but I wear 11.5 in Vans and climb in 44 katana and 43 finales I have average feet and I'd say the stretch is minimal. They fit perfectly.

Follow up on this post. I e-mailed La Sportiva and they said most people like to down size this model .5, or 1 euro size. I had to downsize .5 as it fit my foot better reducing air space in the heel. At the gear store I wore them for a while and used the practice chips. They felt very snug, but not painful, so I was very hopeful and bought them. At the gym I could get a few climbs in and then they became too painful at the toes and top of heel not to take them off between each climb. It got to the point of me not enjoying climbing if I didn't take them off between each climb. And even then, there was no guarantee that I wouldn't be in pain near the end of the climb. That was a very different experience and something I was not expecting. I returned them as I couldn't deal with the pain and discomfort. I was worried it would be a long and painful break in process. Perhaps I might try them again in the future when I have some other shoes as backups to use when these get to be too much. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Taking shoes off between climbs is fairly normal and recommended...

Ted, It's nothing I've ever done or ever needed to unless outdoor climbing between climbs and belays. At the gym they stay on my feet the whole time. That being said I've known and recognize that people do indeed do this. I just don't like having to do that. And with a laced shoe it's time consuming versus something with velcro. I've always looked for comfort first in my climbing shoes. It makes me happier to climb when my feet are not screaming in pain. I've since found a better match in La Sportiva Mythos down sized 1 euro size. 

Brian H · · Anchorage ak · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 30

I have maybe 20 hours in mine and have noticed little if any stretch

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply