Garden of the Gods Climbing.

Original Post
walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 50

Coming to the Springs 10th-12th of Feb. Staying at the Garden of the Gods resort for a family function. Looking to get out if the weather is good for a few hours on the 11th. I can bring as little or as much gear as needed and can lead or follow it all doesn't really matter. I will have my 10yr old son with me who is good with top roping or following multi-pitch. Maybe get on top of one of the cool towers their. PM me if interested.

dindolino32 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 10

Ill throw this warning out there for ya. I tried climbing there once. After my wife (100 pounder), knocked a body sized death block my way on a "classic" well traveled route. We bailed. The rock is crumbly, so be safe and be aware.

Marc H · · Denver · Joined May 2007 · Points: 20

While we're giving warnings, here's another one. A couple of my friends climbed one of those towers and watched helplessly as both of their packs were stolen by a couple teenagers. Don't leave anything of value on the ground while you're not around.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 50

Thanks for the advice. Staying at the resort and drinking beer all weekend is sounding better and better!!

manuel rangel · · Tempe, Arizona · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 3,683

I really enjoyed climbing there last fall. Climb with a small pack to carry water and enjoy the cool summits. Our biggest problem was answering the tourists. Montezuma Tower was fantastic!

Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 1,860

Ahhh it's not that bad. Don't pull on obviously loose shit and stick to the classics and you'll have a good time. I recommend climbing on kindergarten rock (also known as grey rock), and nobody will be around your stuff.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 234

This route is really pretty cool-

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/north-ridge/105751609

You might also consider Red Rock Canyon Open Space-

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/red-rock-canyon-open-space/105744457

Ron Pivo · · Westcreek · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
walmongr wrote:Thanks for the advice. Staying at the resort and drinking beer all weekend is sounding better and better!!
Kinfolks and the Manitou Brewery are highly recommended, and are within reasonable walking distance of the GoG resort. LaUnica is a few blocks to the east, offering excellent sonoran cuisine and good margaritas. The Cantina also has excellent food and the best margaritas around. I personally would avoid Amanda's directly across the street, as well as The Loop. Oh yeah, there are also 2 recreational pot shops are within three blocks as well. With all that fun, why climb on crappy rock...just streer clear of the Manitou cops and the dreaded parking patrol.

If you must climb, Anaconda and Montazuma's Tower are noble endevours. Don't forget to register to climb. At least you can now do it on line.
jmeizis · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 130

Wow, I've been guiding in The Garden since 2007. Never had a pack stolen or broken any substantial sized rock. Maybe I've just got the gift but the rock's not that bad in my opinion. Don't climb after it rains. Lots of people in the central park that will take your picture and ask questions.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply