Mountain Project Logo

Pere Marquette

Original Post
Andy Matthews · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Has anyone climbed here yet? Looking to go over the weekend but it's been awfully rainy. I'm curious how the layout drains or if there will be water standing at the base of the bluffs. Thanks for the help!

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I myself really want to go. Especially since they added new routes, bolts, and anchors. How far away are you?

Oh about 2.5 hours south. I'm not sure if my schedule is going to allow me to make it up there but if I can get free I was just wanting to make sure it wouldn't be a muddy mess. That's why I was curious about how it drained. Have you been there yet?

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

No sir but I know a couple guys who went and saw pictures and it did seem like the base has potential to get sloppy.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

I was there in Nov. for the grand opening, and can say that since the base trail is fairly new, it will probably be muddy until the soil packs down and settles in better. But most of the trail is along steep slope, and drains well too. Just take a small carpet square or rug for drying off shoes before you start up the route. Only about 700 yards from one end to the other. First wall on left of area is down in a low spot; most of the rest is up slope quite a bit and should drain off fairly well I'd hope. Best of luck,,very nice spot for short newly bolted routes to try.

Thanks for all the insight I appreciate it!

Dave Hug · · Carbondale, Illinois · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 7,320

Andy hey man I think I can help. So I have been in charge of the bolting at the site and thus have spent quite a bit of time there. I can tell you that two days after a rain the place is bone dry. I think the soil is some type of loess, meaning it has a low clay content and so it doesn't hold water well.

So as far as climbing goes, the majority of the sport routes dry quickly after the rain as compared to the cracks. Id say that if you go this weekend you will have a good time.

Sweet, thanks man! I appreciate it greatly. I've heard nothing but good things about it. So good work man. Any specific sport routes you'd suggest?

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
Andy Matthews wrote:Sweet, thanks man! I appreciate it greatly. I've heard nothing but good things about it. So good work man. Any specific sport routes you'd suggest?
Dave's the guy to ask for sure. I believe there are pretty good pics of routes with descriptions up here at MP since early last fall. Most speak for themselves. It's a very easy access, and you can walk the entire wall in 15 minutes to visually inspect every one of the routes that are up. Then you can decide what seems to fit your style. More than just the rating, you can see the rock and the full route because they are mostly less than 50 ft high,,,maybe closer to just 40 something if I'm correct. You will find something to your liking, be it sport or trad. Have fun during this warm rock climbing winter we ended up with this season.
Bill McKirgan · · Cedar Rapids, IA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 503

I'm going to take a look at the place Saturday morning with some local hiker friends. Maybe I'll see you there Andy.

Thanks for the information Dave Hug and Woodchuck ATC

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/pere-marquette-state-park/112240918

Thanks again for everything guys! Have a good weekend

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply