Cruxing out on van purchase

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Been doing "homework" for a month but feel even less informed than I did when I started. Lookin for a full time home, and not just for climbing. Budget around $15-20,000. Thought of pickup and shell but really want a self contained unit aka a van. Econoline or express? Sprinter? Diesel or gas? For a given make and model, are there years/models to avoid?

If all you got to say is "Google such and such forum" then save it, I HAVE googled such and such forum. Not helping me!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Riddle:

Q: Do you have trouble with indecision?

A: Well, yes and no.

Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Do you have a coin?
Can you flip it?

Yury wrote:Do you have a coin? Can you flip it?
Sure, I love a coin flip when it comes to a major life purchase!! Thaaaaaanks!!
Brett Roberts · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 575

Steph Davis has several pretty good write up on the building of her van and her pro's and con's of the build and the decisions she made on her website. I don't have the exact link, but her website is stephdavis.co and I think there's a search bar on there.

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23

Depends on if you need 4wd where you plan on climbing

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,702

And...whether or not you want indoor shower/toilet.

Brett.Roberts wrote:Steph Davis has several pretty good write up on the building of her van and her pro's and con's of the build and the decisions she made on her website. I don't have the exact link, but her website is stephdavis.co and I think there's a search bar on there.
Refer back to my OP. The part where it says "if all you got to say is Google such and such forum.." well I already did read Steph's page. Her advice? Buy a brand new sprinter. Last I checked that goes for more than $15-20k. Thanks for totally ignoring my request, though.

spellstrike wrote:Depends on if you need 4wd where you plan on climbing
Probably not but with my budget I am open to it. No bathroom or shower needed though.
keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Greg. You seem very angry. Not many people are going to give you advice if all your going to tell them is 'you already know '!

keithconn wrote:Greg. You seem very angry. Not many people are going to give you advice if all your going to tell them is 'you already know '!
Hm, maybe it's because I specifically wrote in my first post that I had already searched the vast majority of forums on this topic? And that seemingly no matter where I go to ask a question, some people just regurgitate the same old same old without even having read what I wrote?
Eli · · Lives in a truck · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,576

Dear beloved hobo greg,

I encourage you to go diesel. I have been interested in a van for long time too, and the best thing i can come up with is to get a used diesel 17ft sprinter van. 22mpgs, fits in most parking spaces, and it is highly customizable. Yeah you can't get into some really bad roads, but you can just bring a mountain bike in your van.
Plus, the ladies love a man who rolls up to the crag in his sprinter house. It's the maybach of the climbing world.

Good luck.

Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25
Eli Buzzell wrote:Plus, the ladies love a man who rolls up to the crag in his sprinter house. It's the maybach of the climbing world. Good luck.
Pretty sure most ladies don't love a man who lives in a van with no shower or toilet. Just sayin :)
Eli · · Lives in a truck · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,576
Seth Jones wrote: Pretty sure most ladies don't love a man who lives in a van with no shower or toilet. Just sayin :)
Shhhhhhhh. The ladies love it.
Seth Jones wrote: Pretty sure most ladies don't love a man who lives in a van with no shower or toilet. Just sayin :)
Showers and toilets, contrary to popular opinion, do exist outside of vans. I should know; I sometimes utilize them.
Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I am confused.

Hobo Greg wrote:I had already searched the vast majority of forums on this topic
Why do you need more advice in this case?
Do you realise that we can't make this decision on your behalf?

Just flip the coin if you can't decide.
Yury wrote:I am confused. Why do you need more advice in this case? Do you realise that we can't make this decision on your behalf?
Was hoping someone who had once been in my shoes could make sense of all the "information" I have been gathering.
Ryan Valentine · · Louisville, KY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Brett.Roberts wrote:Steph Davis has several pretty good write up on the building of her van and her pro's and con's of the build and the decisions she made on her website. I don't have the exact link, but her website is stephdavis.co and I think there's a search bar on there.
Hobo Greg, your tone isn't really doing you any favors or encouraging anyone to actually take the time to provide you with valuable feedback.

How about, "Thanks Brett, I saw Steph's write up and she basically just tells you to buy a new sprinter van. That's way more money than I care to spend. I came here because I was hoping to get some new information or a unique take on the topic. I appreciate the input though."

Good luck on your search.
Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 305
Hobo Greg wrote: Hm, maybe it's because I specifically wrote in my first post that I had already searched the vast majority of forums on this topic? And that seemingly no matter where I go to ask a question, some people just regurgitate the same old same old without even having read what I wrote?
Dude are you serious? This is a climbing website. As I'm SURE you already know, there are thousands of pages and forums out there specifically dedicated to this topic. Go there. Read. If you want someone to hold your hand through the process, go there. People are trying to help and you're being a dick. I suggest taking a deep breath and looking harder at van-specific sites. Repeat as necessary.
Craig Childre · · Lubbock, Texas · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,950

https://usedtrucks.ryder.com/search-used-trucks#/searchFromInventory

Searching in California... Found a Sprinter for around $18K... I could deck it out easy for 2K... insulate, power, bed, storage.

Reading further down the thread... I'm not inclined to suggest anything further... seems as though you've done all this research, can't make heads or tails of it, and came here fishing for the 'Cliff Notes' version.

Andy Novak wrote: Dude are you serious? This is a climbing website. As I'm SURE you already know, there are thousands of pages and forums out there specifically dedicated to this topic. Go there. Read. If you want someone to hold your hand through the process, go there. People are trying to help and you're being a dick. I suggest taking a deep breath and looking harder at van-specific sites. Repeat as necessary.
Except, as my first post CLEARLY states, I have already read the ford forums, the sprinter forums, et al et al et al. Maybe I have TOO MUCH information to weed through and therefore wanted input from folks here. But the only input seems to be "Google it"

Well thanks!!!!!!! You're all so super helpful!

Bunch of chodes!
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25
Holden Caulfield wrote: Didn't you just start a thread about how you want to decrease your forum posting? Just sayin :)
Yep but try as I might, I obviously I lack self control when it comes to responding to retarded threads :) Edit: You chose this to comment on as your 3rd post in 10 years? Wow, I feel special.

Greg, I think you're missing my point. Forget the toilet and shower. Most women aren't interested in a dude livin in a van.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply