Mountain Project Logo

reasons for quitting the american alpine club

Original Post
KennyJoe Sabine · · zOmBiE = from = OUTER-SPACE · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 230

Initially I wasn't going to post this, but because I haven't received services paid for I feel that I should.

1 : because I haven't received what I've paid for.

While I was staying at one of the American alpine club campgrounds. I was asked not to shower every day (immediately after I paid for membership and two weeks of camping); I paid with a card and was told that I could not obtain a refund. When I asked for two shower tokens I was humiliated by someone working for the American alpine club. He stated that I could not have two tokens even though I hadn't showered in 4 days. He also said that it isn't the clubs policy to give me a shower token everyday.
There are advertisements and signs that read 'I get to shower daily with camping fee'.

2 : I haven't received my membership card.

I was told that I would receive the card within six weeks. It has been several months, and still no card.
This would be the third year that I have been lied to about the membership card.

3 : No climbing partner.

In three months time we climbed one fifteen foot tall 5.8 and one 25 foot tall 5.10 once. Although I was told several times that we would climb some multipitch (never happened).

4 : Because they took advantage of me and my money.

By allowing others to stay for free, but expecting me to pay.

5 : Because they turned the lights off when I was in the building and using the lights. He said it runs up the electric bill.
Well then; why are you excepting my money?

6 : I was sent a letter from the club stating that because my yearly memberships expired, I no longer support the climbing community (which couldn't be further from the truth).

I've paid several hundred dollars to the American alpine club and they haven't delivered.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

Render = provide or give

They didn't render services, you didn't receive services.

If that is the case, and they refuse a refund, take it up with your credit card company. Purchase protection is one big advantage to paying with a card.

Also, I'm probably going to regret asking this... but what's going on with point #3? Did they also promise a multi-pitch climbing partner with your camping fee?

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135

Have you contacted the Club??? If not, why not?? I really hate whining posts when the person has not bothered to followup with those whom they have complaint. Get back to us when have done that. Otherwise, yer just a whiner.

E.C.
No not with the camp fee, just as a friend so we could climb together.
Regardless I waited around for several days to climb with them and I could have been getting things accomplished. Instead, I was stood up. So I wasted several days waiting on an insincere climbing partner.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

That sounds frustrating, but what does it have to do with the AAC?

I'm not getting suckered into giving a long drawn out explanation. Read the original post (that says it all). I'm done and I'm going rope solo like I usually do. The End

Cor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,455

F'n Limey.

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

Ive been a member for a while and havent really taken advantage of the benefits you get (such as finding a partner, staying at their lodges, rescue benefits?, discounts, etc). I did however get a sticker, a hat, and their publications (which i personally liked). But is it worth 75 bucks a year? ehh, i spend more money on other stupid crap. At least this way I get some reading material for my coffee table.

and as for the card, it took me a while to receive mine. I contacted them and right away I got an email from their staff and i got less than a week later.

But, to each his own. Cancel and use that money for a spanking new cam!

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 68
KennyJoe wrote:Read the original post (that says it all).
It doesn't though. Like the specific campground. Much of this sounds like issues with a specific campground / host?

And the partner stuff is confusing - do they advertise providing climbing partners as a member benefit? Is this a continuation of your gripe with a specific person who sold you the membership that indicated they'd rope up with you? Sounds like it from your follow-up.

Mostly this sounds like a complaint about a specific person that has an affiliation with the AAC, but your problem is with them and not the AAC.

KennyJoe wrote:I'm not getting suckered into giving a long drawn out explanation.
OK, but don't expect anyone to understand you, or for it to have any impact beyond catharsis. You are going to have to clarify if you actually want to improve that campground or give feedback to the AAC on one of their representative or convince others they should avoid the AAC or... whatever you were hoping to do with this post.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
MojoMonkey wrote: It doesn't though. Like the specific campground. Much of this sounds like issues with a specific campground / host? And the partner stuff is confusing - do they advertise providing climbing partners as a member benefit? Is this a continuation of your gripe with a specific person who sold you the membership that indicated they'd rope up with you? Sounds like it from your follow-up. Mostly this sounds like a complaint about a specific person that has an affiliation with the AAC, but your problem is with them and not the AAC. OK, but don't expect anyone to understand you, or for it to have any impact beyond catharsis. You are going to have to clarify if you actually want to improve that campground or give feedback to the AAC on one of their representative or convince others they should avoid the AAC or... whatever you were hoping to do with this post.
This. Mr. Monkey has summed it up.

There's nothing to clarify. Apparently I'm not a valued customer.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,139

I never heard or read anywhere that they would supply you with a partner for the day. Where is that beta?

Very disappointing, and unprofessional.

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

I don't see why someone standing you up that you seem to have met through the club, is the fault of the club. And if I'm not mistaken, can't you just claim your membership on taxes? As the AAC is a 501 c Nonprofit.

I know you won't relent on this, but other than explaining that you had a bad experience with one employee. Your original post explains nothing. Was the camp you were staying at in an area experiencing drought? And they chose to implement some water rationing?

That's irrelevant. When you accept someone's money for a service it is unethical not to provide that person with what they have paid for.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Brett Kitchen wrote:I don't see why someone standing you up that you seem to have met through the club, is the fault of the club. And if I'm not mistaken, can't you just claim your membership on taxes? As the AAC is a 501 c Nonprofit.
If you claim standard deduction this won't matter. My donations never change my taxes.

So it is apparent that other AAC club members are refusing to acknowledge that I was supposed to receive a membership card, a guidebook to membership, and that we are encouraged to climb with each other, or that I am supposed to get a shower every day that I camp with the club.

Also that no one even cares that I am quitting.

Their false advertisement is the qualm I have with the club.

I'm at my post limit for the day...

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
KennyJoe wrote:So it is apparent that other AAC club members are refusing to acknowledge that I was supposed to receive a membership card, a guidebook to membership, and that we are encouraged to climb with each other, or that I am supposed to get a shower every day that I camp with the club. Also that no one even cares that I am quitting.
The internet is a tough place man. You won't find much sympathy here until you end up on the memorial page (knock on wood).
DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

I'm not a member so this is only adding to my confusion. My understanding is the AAC is that a club. The insurance alone is worth membership. To say you are a customer doesn't sit right with me, 501c organizations are not retailers or service providers. You join the club by making a donation and had a problem using the benefits. The way your responses read it sounds like you are expecting a whole lot for a very little.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549

"I resign. I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member "

Groucho Marx

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply