Mountain Project Logo

Climbing the classics

Original Post
Nathan Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hi everyone,

Some friends and I are heading to Ouray for 2weeks starting tomorrow, staying in Ridgeway. Planning on hitting up the icepark but are keen to get into the back country as well.
So what are the classic routes of the area? For a guide we climb around WI5,M5. Also I there a good website for weather forecast and snow conditions?

Thanks

Highlander · · Ouray, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 255

http://avalanche.state.co.us/forecasts/backcountry-avalanche/north-san-juan/

Nathan Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone know what the Ouray mountain sports store is like? I would like a new pair of boots. I know the ice fest is on but it's sold out. Would I be better off in Denver or Golden?

Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

You might want to check this out:

mountainproject.com/scripts…

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 33

Classic backcountry routes in near area that I can recommend are Stairway to Heaven mountainproject.com/v/stair…
and
Ames Ice House mountainproject.com/v/ames-…

others which I have not climbed include: Bird Brain Boulevard, The Ribbon, Skylight, and Whorehouse Hoses

Terry Parker · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 0

Hi Nathan - best source for ice conditions and climb status is on San Juan Mountain guide page. mtnguide.net/resources/oura…

Regarding boots and other equipment. I would call, because they do sell out over the Ice Fest, since a lot manufacturers offer discount coupon during the fest.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply