lessons to learn from my little video experiment?

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

I wanted to document my work on a pebble project, so after I made a little clip. It looks like crap, to be honest and I am not sure why. Besides using the phone in portrait mode, what other obvious things can be fixed to improve quality in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZFmbM9Az3g

Super Fluke · · Earth · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 161

Use a drone.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
Super Fluke wrote:Use a drone.
I am a drone :)
Thomas Chapman · · Sewanee, Tennessee · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Not enough beanies. not enough screaming in pain. too many shirts

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 200
Thomas Chapman wrote:Not enough beanies. not enough screaming in pain. too many shirts
This
peakest · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 3

dab

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

The previous posts notwithstanding, consider framing and scale. There is a bunch of superfluous stuff in the frame. Zoom in to the action. If no one is holding the camera and following the action you may need to climb it several times and shoot a different angle each time. Edit together later. Cleaning up the framing will also make you larger in relation to the shot giving a better scale and will hold the viewer's attention.

Ain't That Rich · · White Oaks, NM · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

That's good advice from Brian N. Shooting compelling video, and photos for that matter, requires serious forward thinking about the final product. Interspersed closeups of hands smearing, feet scumming, panting, and faces of spotters requires staging, good light, multiple takes, and careful editing.

The reason it looks like crap is because you took the video equivalent of a photo "snapshot"; good video is hard! The upside is that by asking, and trying again, you'll tune in to what makes a TV commercial, or a particular scene in a movie, successful.

Keep trying!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply