Guidebooks and MP Beta

Original Post
M Kilts · · Hooper, Utah · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

I was recently flipping through my guidebook and started noticing areas around me that are definitely not listed on Mountain Project. They were a mix of trad and sport but mostly trad.
My wonder is if there is sort of an unwritten rule about keeping guidebook beta in the guidebook. And if there isn't, I wonder why some of these routes have not yet been shared. The book was published in 2002 I believe (it isn't in front of me right now).
What are you thoughts about this?
If it were to be shared, it definitely would be with the intent to provide beta to a larger audience while seeking accuracy and giving credit where credit is due.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 15

If you want to have real guide books with real history in them then BUY real guides. And don't steal the beta and put it on MP.

Perin Blanchard · · Orem, UT · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 7,700
Read this thread.

TL;DR: Don't post routes you haven't climbed.
M Kilts · · Hooper, Utah · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15
Perin Blanchard wrote:Read this thread. TL;DR: Don't post routes you haven't climbed.
Case closed! Haha thanks Perin, that is good info and definitely something I can respect and support. I was leaning more towards there being a good reason as to why, and I wasn't about to break that rule without consent.

Also, I feel that those guidelines should be sticky somewhere. Maybe not the entire thread, seeing as how portions of it were directed towards Tony, unless that's relevant. A good read for lots to see though I think
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply