Red Rocks dry yet?

Original Post
Ivan LaBianca · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 50

Looking to make a trip to red rocks this week, but just wanted to check with people who are there or locals, is it dry enough to climb since the last rain? From what I can see in forecast, it looks like it didn't rain the last few days, so it should be over 72 hours, but last time I was there, the ground still wasn't dry almost a week after the heavy heavy rains.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

The last rain was Saturday afternoon, so we've had one day after three days of rain, and a bunch before that. It's been pretty wet around here.

If you're sport climbing, I'd say Tuesday for sunny cliffs, Wednesday for others, conditions dependent.

The canyons will likely be awhile, maybe later in the week.

Ivan LaBianca · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 50

Thanks John, good to know, I've just been following online but it's not always accurate for the park. Sounds like we, ought to postpone this time. Mostly looking to climb in oak creek and black velvet this trip, assuming those take a bit longer to dry with less sun?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

Black velvet will be out for sure, it's mostly out in the winter in general except for the monument. Nothing gets sun in there.

Oak Creek, maybe later in the week-. Wednesday or Thursday depending.

Luke Werner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Nope, It's still really wet.

Many parts of rock was glistening in the sunlight as there was water streaks that were not able to be absorbed because the rock is saturated. Even the south facing fully exposed rock was saturated, loose, and weak.

A weekend of skills training in red rocks isn't too bad though. My first time seeing/touching wet sandstone and now I fully understand the reasons behind leaving it alone until fully dry

Daniel Chambo · · Carrboro, North Carolina · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

where were you today Luke?

pkeds · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 5
Zach Myers · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 10

Head to Arizona, plenty of rad granite that doesn't care if it is wet or dry (although YOU might). Cochise Stronghold, Granite Mountain in Prescott, Mt. Lemon outside of good-ol Tuscany. J-tree should also be prime.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply