Mountain Project Logo

Edelrid riot ice tools

Original Post
Robert Seevers · · Morganton, NC · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

Has anyone used this ice tool? If so, what are your likes and dislikes.
I'm interested in getting these as my first set of tools and I wanted to know what people think of them.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

I'd caution you not to buy anything you haven't personally used, no matter how good it looks on paper.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175

The market is saturated with Black Diamond and Petzl tools because of this advice. Grivel, DMM, Edelrid, Camp, etc. all make tools (and some are outstanding) but their distribution is small(er) in the US so many don't have access to "try before you buy".

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745
alpinejason wrote:The market is saturated with Black Diamond and Petzl tools because of this advice. Grivel, DMM, Edelrid, Camp, etc. all make tools (and some are outstanding) but their distribution is small(er) in the US so many don't have access to "try before you buy".
I totally understand this. I myself have bought tools from a "second tier" manufacturer without having used them. On two occasions in fact. Long story short - one of them worked out well, albeit after some stumbles (and if you follow my posting history you'll see I am a huge fan of them - Trango Raptors). But OP is looking for their first tools. Had I been in that situation I would have effectively pissed away the better part of $300.

OP - get out and climb with lots of folks who have lots of different tools. Hopefully someone will have a pair of Raptors for you to try :-)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply