Moving to Leavenworth

Original Post
Billy Clyde · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 55

I'm thinking of moving to the Leavenworth area this summer. I would like to hear from some local about the weather in the area, where the climbing is, black flies, and anything else you think is important to know about the area before moving there. I have been doing some research on my own but have found very little. I'm also looking for suggestions on what towns would be good to live in that would keep me close to the majority of the climbing, I've been looking for jobs in Leavenworth and Wenatchee.
Also I'd be interested in purchasing some used guidebooks for the area.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

It's the Northwest, you'll see some mosquitos but compared to New England the bugs will be minimal. The weather will be a dramatic improvement compared to New Paltz, but L-worth can be very hot. Luckily, you can go up to higher elevations to escape the heat. May, June, September will be best.

Wenatchee will put you about half an hour from the start of the Icicle, perhaps 40 minutes from the start of most approaches. However, you're also 30 mins closer to Washington Pass, where perhaps the best summer climbing is--but it's still a trek.

Best of luck!

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 137

There's a new rock gym opening in Wenatchee next month which could be a plus if it get too hot to climb. But if you want to climb in the Icicle/Tumwater everyday you want to live in Leavenworth. The closest other good summer climbing areas would be Washington Pass and Index, assuming you're interested in trad climbing. Another factor to consider is wildfire. It can be a total non-issue or it can be really smoky - it just depends on the year. Good luck, the Northwest is a sweet place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply