Mountain Project Logo

Foot neuropathies...

Original Post
Colin Weserstein · · Highlands Raunch · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Tingly, burning toes. Aching ankles, especially upon waking up or after prolonged sitting (ie driving). Feels like "bunched socks" at balls of the feet.

Anyone having these issues?

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

When are you feeling this? Regular shoes, climbing shoes, tight climbing shoes?

Sounds like it's something you should definitely see a doctor about it. The tingling bit sounds like a nerve or circulation issue.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

Could be a lot of things. I felt something similar to this last year and ignored it, and it turned into a tendon issue... From what I've learned, your feet shouldn't hurt. If they do, something is wrong.

I would definitely try to see a doctor. I've honestly had mixed experiences with doctors, especially when it comes to tendon/ligament/muscle injuries, but it is a good starting point. Also look into PT (which they'll *likely* recommend) and even a massage therapist.

Stretch your calf muscles? A lot of feet problems come from tight calves and achilles, and as such the feet try to make up for it and become injured...

Good luck and keep us updated.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

I think there are plenty of feet issues out there, but not necessarily are they always addressed.

It sounds to me like your feet are weaker than other muscles of your posterior chain.

I think you should look into how tight the surrounding muscles are and see if that is a factor. Do some intrinsic feet exercises at least once a day ( gmb.io/feet/), stretch everything in your posterior chain and your hips multiple times a day. Maybe take some turmeric also? It is good to reduce inflammation (increase circulation) which could help.. Strong feet are the key to everything!!

For me, lack of the above (stretching and strengthening) led to a big toe tendon injury (lovingly called turf toe), that put me out for almost 5 months. I'm almost at the year mark for when things started feeling "weird" and I still have stiffness in my toe..

Edit to add: look into the anatomy of your feet/legs.. learning about the layout of my muscles and ligaments really helped to understand how I could overcome this injury. Also, "nerve pain" could result from the pinching of nerves, which may come from muscles/ligaments adhering to each other, massage could really really really help with that!

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Do you experience an unusual amount of fatigue and weakness?

You could rabbit hole yourself into the thought of pernicious. Every time I look for it, never ends up being the true problem. It'd be nice to get a confirmatory to start addressing the underlying, if indeed the case. As damage can become permanent.

Really sounds more like plantar fasciitis to me though from previous injury/overuse, if your lab values are essentially normal. Have you tried the frozen water bottle trick? Just roll that under your feet. Also, PT is important -- look into stretching program for heel cord/calf/achilles.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Rapid onset ? Or happening for a while ?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Foot neuropathies..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started