Mountain Project Logo

Camping in Yangshuo and Getu Valleys in China

Original Post
chandlebear · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

My partner and I are considering a trip to China this fall and we'd like to camp near climbing areas, specifically in Yangshuo and Getu Valley areas. Anybody have any tips or recommendations on camping in these regions? Or any other beta for those places, climbing suggestions welcome :)

Hege Quist-Hanssen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

I dont know of a lot of camping in yangshuo, but the climber's inn is cheap especially for the dorms. Staying there is also a great way to meet other climbers and get beta on different crags. Lily, the woman who runs the place is a gem and will help you with heaps of local knowledge. If you are staying longer it is possible to rent apartments for next to nothing.

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

It is possible to camp in Yangshuo, but really not worth it.
Town is, at most, a 45 min bicycle ride to just about every crag and usually only 15-20 minutes.
You can find rooms for way cheap and if you're going to stay for more than a month, renting a room/apartment is usually pretty easy.
Food in town is dirt cheap, especially if you have a way to cook and shop at the local markets.
While I never felt unsafe in the 2 years I lived in Yangshuo, I would never leave all my stuff unattended in a camp situation; it will very likely disappear.
As far as Getu is concerned, I highly suggest checking into what the Gov't has been doing in the area. Last I heard they were building a luxury hotel in the Arch and the construction crews have destroyed the mini ecosystem there.
That being said, once again, for how cheap it was to stay in a 'guest house' right at the gates to the national park and at most a 1 hour walk to all the crags, there is no reason to camp. But seriously, even though it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, if the construction and such is going on, Getu may be way more of a hassle to get to then it's worth.
Fell free to PM me if you have other questions or want more beta.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply