Mountain Project Logo

Mt Rainier twice in a day

Original Post
john sims · · Seattle, Wa · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5

Hey all,
I am training to do Rainier twice in a day later this spring, and I am looking for some insight and beta. I am thinking of going up the Furher Finger, down Emmons-Winthrop, turn around and go back up the E-W, then finally down DC. I am going to crampon up and ski down. I am also, going to try to get two support teams together, each team doing half with me. That way I have some fresh eyes, minds, and legs.

Has anyone here done it twice in a day? What was your experience? Any tips? Things I should be aware of?

Any alternative routes I should consider? Ideally I want to go up and over, not just stay on one side of the mountain.

Any tips, ideas, or suggestions on logistics?

Yes, yes, yes, I know, I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!! (but hopefully not really) ;)

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Never climbed it twice in a day. Never been there that early. A few things: Climbing with partners, climbing roped etc... up all add to the time required and potential for failure. I assume you will be skiing unroped on the way down? If so then maybe go it alone. Assuming all this snow keeps up crevasse risk should be low, and going your desired route lets you avoid most crevasse risk on the way up and scout out your next route on skis coming down. If you are climbing with 4 other people that provides 4 opportunities for altitude sickness, injury, etc... to cause you to fail.

In terms of training, work on your endurance at altitude. Spend as much time over 11-12k as possible. And solo some other glaciated volcanoes if you want a Rainier solo permit.

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,055

Check out this badass 2-fer on Adams and Rainier!

Adams and Rainier Summits and Ski

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply