Mountain Project Logo

Table Mountain seeping after rain?

Original Post
Matt Perrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Does Table Mountain seep after rain? Will it be climbable this weekend? Any other better options near SF?

Thanks!

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

No info here but posting to follow. I am also curious about potential seepage (specifically at the Grotto) after the rain. I hear it can be a problem but looking for more/better sources on that.

Cat. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 5

Sometimes the Grotto is climbable during the first day of a rainstorm, but both Grotto and GW do seep like crazy after a big storm. After one day of rain it's probably fine (aka during the drought years), but all the times I've gone out there a day or two after a big rainstorm have been terrible. I don't have a great estimate on how long it takes to dry out, though.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Gold Wall is going to be soaking for the most part (Jailhouse will likely be a mess too). In particular from about Diamond in the Rough all the way to Black Gold (i.e. the second main section of wall at GW) is going to be a waterfall. The rest of the crag will likely be seeping pretty good as well. You might try Bear Crag etc. up near St. Helena because they don't have a mesa above them to funnel water down into the cliff. Though I'm not sure about this (mostly because I can't remember), but maybe Jerry Dodrill will see this and post with better info concerning Napa area stuff. Good luck.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

don't know about table mountain in Sonora, but if you're talking about table rock out of Calistoga, it will be very wet.

But....many Mt. St. Helena climbs (farside, bear, etc.) dry quite quickly and will be good this weekend

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

On a separate but very related note, how much longer do you think it will take the local sandstone to dry out after this insane dump of rain? It looks like we're only getting a 5 day gap of sun, so maybe by that 5th day things will have dried up enough.

I wouldn't climb if I got there on day 5 and it was still moist, but I'm trying to gauge it so if necessary I just make the drive to a granite crag instead.

Matt Perrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

How would the Pinnacles fare?

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

People usually say the standard is 3 days in regard to sandstone. I think you'd be able to climb Pinnacles Sunday..? There likely is more sun hitting out there then off of Skyline.

I'm sure people have varying estimates, usually if it's wet on the ground (esp. near the base of the climbs) you probably shouldn't climb it... at least that's also what I hear people say.

Just please, don't hurt the rock!

Edit to add: Does anybody have an estimate for how long it takes Table Mountain to dry out?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Table Mountain seeping after rain?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started