Climbing Partner near Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill

Original Post
Sam Johnson 1 · · Lawton, OK · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

I'm a law student at Duke needing a buddy to explore some NC rock. Been out to Pilot and Moore's and looking to do more trad climbing when weather permits. I've got a rack and can lead 5.11 sport, 5.9+ trad. A mentor would be appreciated! Message me plz

Will Maness · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I'm moving to Ireland in less than two weeks, but I'll be back in July and ready to get back out there on some NC rock! I'll check back in when I return! Cheers and good luck!

Zachary Widel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 6

Hi Sam, I'm at Duke for grad school too (just started in August). I've lead some sport at pilot and been to Asheboro boulders in the area. If you want we can meet up at the Duke gym some time.

shoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 75

This is not going to be particularly helpful, but there is sadly a lack of dedicated trad aficionados in the triangle area. It will be tough to find a mentor. It may be a better bet to find a solid and adventurous partner to dedicate a lot of time to learning.

The most important skills in trad are learned with experience. While a mentor and people with experience catalyze that learning, just going out and doing it will work as well, albeit in a less controlled environment.

AD_Ange · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

If you can lead 5.9+ trad consistently you probably don't need a mentor:)

Will Maness · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

^^^agreed

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Actually, there are quite a few trad climbers in the Triangle (I am just one of many), they just aren't MP types. Sam, get in touch with me and we'll see what we could do. I've been trad climbing for about 30 years, so I may be out of your desired age range.

smurray47 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 25

agreed, there are lots of us trad-junkies in the triangle area. Unfortunately my current situation is too few free weekends rather than too few partners, but I'd definitely recommend starting to frequent TRC and progression and just asking around, if you don't find enough folks through here.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply