Crampon compatability: LS Nepal & Trangos and BD Sabretooths

Original Post
Tod Gunter · · Hailey, ID · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10

So I am in my 2nd season of struggling with my Sabretooths (hybrids) and am ready to sell them but am hoping some one here can help me figure out the issue. I don't think there is a history of poor compatability with Nepals or Trangos as it's a popular set up but I am struggling with both of mine.

Twice now they've popped off my Nepals while leading ice which is a bad deal. Several other times they have come off while walking around at the base of climbs. When using them on hard snow in my Trango's the tend to "roll" (slip up the side) when I'm using French technique.

I've tried several different size adjustments with them and really crank on them when first putting them on but continue to have problems. Lately I've tried not putting them on as tightIt seems the toe of the boot will get pushed up into front "bail" when walking (not front pointing) loosening the rear throw and letting it slip off. The times they have come off leading I was fairly close to the ground so I assume they were loose when i started and don't think it was the frontpointing doing it.

Thinking of switching back to step-in's if I can't get this resolved. This is my first pair of hybrids. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Nepal 1

Is the gap an issue?

Bail

Front "bail" is flush

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40

get step ins

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply