Mountain Project Logo

Sublime brush, totally impractical???

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549

So my big Christmas extravagance was buying a boars hair Sublime brush.

Which seems like a really nice brush, except that the handle is enormous!

I don't see any way to thread it through the brush holder on any chalk bag.

There's a hole in the handle I could thread with cord, but it's on the removable portion, so I'm worried it may unscrew itself and fall off. Or even worse, I could impale myself if I were to fall awkwardly.

Kind of feeling like it was a complete waste of money...

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

I have a couple partners that own them, they seem to fit into the loophole on larger buckets. I kinda like how the thick handle feels when you are brushing but I have not bought one yet myself. Also, I have seen someone who found an elbow adapter that can be screwed on it and it makes it very convenient.

Ps. I have a large dish brush :)

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 765

I'm Stocking up:

Best Bouldering Brush(s) 2szs, 3 kinds of bristles

(It is easy to customize the handle by heating & twisting the angle of the brush-heads orientation.)

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

would it be weird to simply use the rough side of a sponge?

Dylan 11111 wrote:would it be weird to simply use the rough side of a sponge?
Yes, I think very weird.

But maybe I'm just out of the loop.
Seems like the sponge would shred and make a mess.

I finally figured out the brush is meant for bouldering, not routes. Duh!
Would be nice for that, if only I bouldered outside.
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

Mark, if I knew you were in the market I'd just give you one of mine (wide brush head great for those huge indoor volumes!), though the handle is also pretty wide.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

The brush itself is one of the better brushes out there. With that said the rest of the design is pretty much bogus.

I like the Flashed double sided brush to but the length of the bristle is a touch on the long side and it definitely wont fit into a loop.

Michael Schneider wrote:I'm Stocking up: Best Bouldering Brush(s) 2szs, 3 kinds of bristles (It is easy to customize the handle by heating & twisting the angle of the brush-heads orientation.)
Two of the theee are brass and steel bristles - make sure not to use them on boulders!
Mark E Dixon wrote: But maybe I'm just out of the loop.
It's not you, it's the brushes that are out of the loop. Because they don't fit into the loop.
Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Mark E Dixon wrote: Yes, I think very weird. But maybe I'm just out of the loop. Seems like the sponge would shred and make a mess. I finally figured out the brush is meant for bouldering, not routes. Duh! Would be nice for that, if only I bouldered outside.
I use sponges on my hang board at home. I don't at the gym though for fear of judgement
Dylan 11111 wrote: I use sponges on my hang board at home. I don't at the gym though for fear of judgement
Go for it! There are too many normal people in the world.

@ reboot- thanks for the offer. Chris T talked up boars hair so thought I'd try it, but looks like it'll be a while yet.

Passed the sublime brush onto my son. He out climbs me already, now I guess he'll be better equipped too!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply