Dominican Republic update?

Original Post
Kyle McPheeters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,
kind of spur of the moment my girlfriend and I ended up booking a trip to the Dominican Republic for the end of the month. On a whim I looked at the climbing and it looks like we will be within 10 miles of Playa Fronton. I've read the old hardware is trash, where are things with the rebolting effort (I would be happy to contribute to the effort!)? Is it even worth it to drag gear down there? At most I'd climb for a day or two, which would be worth it to me, but I dont want to bring all my gear and all the hardware be unsafe. The rock looks awesome and I'd be stoked to check it out! Also if anyone else will be in the area, we'll be there 1/26-2/1.

Kyle

cashmab · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,589

Hi Kyle,

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. In my opinion, it would most certainly be worth bringing your gear for your trip.

The rebolting has been proceeding at a snail's pace mainly due to a lack of consistent manpower (the guy down there doing the lions share of work could always use an extra pair of hands), but we have rebolted several lines since last May, and have the goal of getting all of our titanium bolts installed by end of this year. Having said that, there is plenty that is safe enough to climb that will keep you busy for a day (or two) of climbing.

There are several routes at the main Fronton beach crag that have been done up with Ti, and there are several climbs at the Paraiso crag that are also safe for climbing. PM me if you would like more beta.

Have a great trip! It's a great time of year to go for climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply