Mountain Project Logo

Best soaps to use to clean a climbing rope

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

Just don't wash it. Problem solved.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 515

I am concerned that the soap could chemically degrade the fibers.

The information sheet which comes with a rope warns against exposing the rope to chemicals. Do you know what is in the soap you use? Do they label the active ingredients? Some soap uses lye in the process, which wouldn't be good for the rope.

Since I don't know, I don't take the chance. In my experience, the major item making the rope dirty is aluminum from carabiners followed by dirt. The scrubbing process with clean water gets the rope very clean, so the soap is unnecessary.

I avoid using the bathtub because there is residue from everything you use in there - shampoo, body wash, bar soap, conditioner, and perhaps worst, the products used to clean the shower.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Arlo F Niederer wrote: The information sheet which comes with a rope warns against exposing the rope to chemicals.
I've noticed that, too, but it's pretty obvious that they mean corrosive chemicals. After all, air and water are chemicals, too.

I've washed numerous ropes in my front load washer on the gentle cycle, cold. Sometimes I use a little grapefruit based soap if it's really dirty. That is all. Never had a problem. Ropes look great and are holding up well.
AndrewArroz wrote: I've noticed that, too, but it's pretty obvious that they mean corrosive chemicals. After all, air and water are chemicals, too. I've washed numerous ropes in my front load washer on the gentle cycle, cold. Sometimes I use a little grapefruit based soap if it's really dirty. That is all. Never had a problem. Ropes look great and are holding up well.
Click the links to Climbing Business Journal and follow its links to BD where they tested harnesses after a climber submitted a harness which had failed. The conclusion reached was that the nylon in the harness had been exposed to acid.

The scary part is that the climber nor BD could figure out where the contamination had come from!
hikingdrew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 38

Look, your rope isn't more delicate than your skin; if you wouldn't put it on your skin, don't get it on your rope. Battery acid and chlorine are bad for your skin and rope, but soap and dishwashing detergent are ok. Though I wouldn't use soap on rope since it can leave a waxy residue, Dawn detergent is what I use to clean all my outdoor gear..

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90
n00b wrote:
You're about 2 months too late on that joke...
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Arlo F Niederer wrote: Click the links to Climbing Business Journal and follow its links to BD where they tested harnesses after a climber submitted a harness which had failed. The conclusion reached was that the nylon in the harness had been exposed to acid. The scary part is that the climber nor BD could figure out where the contamination had come from!
Thanks for the pointer to that incident. I found the story on the BD site and, to be honest, I find it really reassuring. Did you see the list of different household cleaners and chemicals they applied? And only TWO of them caused any notable weakening? And those were both forms of muriatic acid?

I feel pretty safe, now, just putting some laundry soap in the front-loader and letting it tumble.

blackdiamondequipment.com/e…
Ralph Swansen · · Boulder CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 761

I've used Dr. Bronners but really have no idea how it compares to Woolite or Dawn.

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
  1. John Wilder wrote: Sterlings rope wash is my preference. If you don't have any, run it in a front load washer on HOT. That'll get most of the gunk out.

A front load washer is fun but I highly recommend doubling it first and then daisy chain the entire rope first.  If you don't you will have a horrible ratnest to unravel when you get it out of the washer.

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 51

Definitely chain it. We put ours in a mesh bag also, then into our front-loading washer. We use McNett's Wetsuit Shampoo (because we're whitewater paddlers so have that around). It's exceptionally harmless, very similar to Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It doesn't even hurt if you get it in your eye, so it probably won't hurt your rope!

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815
rockklimber wrote:

NEVER wash a rope in HOT.  EVER.  Heat is not a friend to climbing ropes.

A front load washer is fun but I highly recommend doubling it first and then daisy chain the entire rope first.  If you don't you will have a horrible ratnest to unravel when you get it out of the washer.

Hot water heaters are typically set to 120-140°F, Nylon melts at over 400°F. An hour exposure to a 140° isn't going to hurt your rope. 

Tayler Mulligan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
DrRockso wrote:

Hot water heaters are typically set to 120-140°F, Nylon melts at over 400°F. An hour exposure to a 140° isn't going to hurt your rope. 

Nylon melts at over 400°F, but have you ever washed clothes in hot water? They can shrink the first few times around which I would imagine would hurt the dynamic performance of your rope. You almost definitely don't want to do this unless you're looking to have a much more static rope.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

I used a beal rope brush in soapless water to great effect

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
DrRockso wrote:

Do you have any sources to support this theory?

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90
DrRockso wrote:

FWIW its not the melting point you really need to worry about. Materials will change properties with heat application, and some degrade due to high heat exposure/tempering effects. (see: all the conspiracy theories about 9/11 and the melting point of steel vs jet fuel burning temperature). Nylon actually does suffer from heat degradation, but the working temperatures I have seen go up the the boiling point of water (210*F). The water from your water heater isn't going to cause any harm.

I just bought a 70m Maxim glider bi- color rope on sale at REI. The instructions have the following recommendations:

"Rope cleaning

To clean a rope, place it in a pillowcase or mesh bag, then wash a rope in a mild detergent, on the gentle cycle.   Always allow the rope to dry thoroughly out of direct sunshine.

Chemicals

Protect your rope from contact with chemicals that contain alkalines, oxidizing agents, bleaching compounds, and acids."

So what is a "mild detergent?" Wouldn't it be nice if they gave a few examples?

We use an oxy cleaner along with our detergent, and use bleach on the whites.   So both of those chemicals have been in my washing machine...still concerned about the residues. 

Perhaps running an empty load before washing the rope would do the trick.

Carl Sampurna · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 400
John Wilder wrote:

If you do use a cleaning agent that isn't Sterlings rope wash, something with no detergents is best. Even mild detergents like Woolite aren't recommended by many manufacturers. 

in another thread somebody mentioned seeing on the MSDS that Woolite contained acid.  That surprised me; even the "Extra Delicates" version is 7-13% "alkylarylsulfonic acid".  I don't know what that really means, but it sounds bad for rope washing

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/archives/CA/arch_46-WOOLITE-Extra-Delicate-Care-Canada-English.pdf

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
rockklimber wrote:

Do you have any sources to support this theory?

John is correct, it melts around 430F. This is stated right on New England Rope's website as well as about a billion other websites. Contact with water temperature of 140F for a few seconds will cause nasty burns on humans, so you tell me if running your hand under hot water in your house will leave you with 2nd degree burns or not.

Ultimately, this thread topic comes up as often as the sun and the answer is always the same. Either use a soap designed for ropes or dont use one at all. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Ultimately, this thread topic comes up as often as the sun and the answer is always the same. 

LMAO too true. I also do not use a soap to wash the rope. I just hand agitate in the tub. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Best soaps to use to clean a climbing rope"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.