Can't feel lower lip, should i be worried?

Original Post
Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

so i was trying to establish a sit start to a boulder problem i've been perfecting, and i succeeded, but on one attempt i kinda slammed my jaw after a slip onto a small outcrop(was edging with one foot, trying to slap same side hand further up the rock, edge foot slipped, came down. luckily just after the sit start so i didn't fall far). it was quick and i had the rest of the problem 130% dialed so i knew how to jerk away safely to prevent further damage, but i did bite my tongue and lower lip at the same time as the slam. since then, fairly sure bit my tongue open a bit(same feeling of getting cut by a dental drill but i've had no dental work lately, not bad, just notable) and i cannot feel a sizeable portion of my lower lip/it tingles. i can talk fine, but as i said, can't feel/tingles, is that bad?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Do you have medical insurance? See a doctor.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

I put a tooth through my lip when I was younger. Never saw a doctor. It healed up fine. Although for many years after it had a slight numbness to it. It's pretty much gone now but if I press hard on the scar inside, I can still feel some numbness.

FrankPS wrote:Do you have medical insurance? See a doctor.
yeah but its not great. i'm probably gonna let it sit for two more days, i see my dentist on thursday i can move the appointment up if needed(it's kind of an oral thing so maybe they could help?)
JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,940
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
JNE wrote:
i'm so confused by this, i never said i could afford it. as it is, all of my medical bills are on payment plans because of said crap insurance. this may likely be another of such things
Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 50

Your dentist might well be able to help. They learn more about head and neck anatomy in training than we MDs do. But really if you didn't actually bite through it, it sounds like a typical crush injury to the nerve. Those usually do recover, though they take time. Wikipedia has a good explanation ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axono...).

Lee Green wrote:Your dentist might well be able to help. They learn more about head and neck anatomy in training than we MDs do. But really if you didn't actually bite through it, it sounds like a typical crush injury to the nerve. Those usually do recover, though they take time. Wikipedia has a good explanation ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axono...).
it is by no means a bite through, and the dentist did help a little, i can pretty much feel it now. i have chronically chapped lips though so who knows maybe shit will happen again
RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Can't help on the nerve damage. But chapped lips are usually from dehydration. Drink more water. Maybe that's not your case, but when I ask the chapstick addicts how much water they drink, it's usually nowhere near enough...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply