Mountain Project Logo

climbing base camps in South America

Original Post
grete · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hey all,
I'm looking to plan a trip to South American for most of February (I know way last minute, but that's how it goes). I was mostly looking into going to Ecuador, as flights are cheap right now and I definitely wanna spend some time by the beach and in some rainforest. I wanted to also go to a place with a high concentration of climbing/climbers, as I am traveling alone and won't have a partner. I know patagonia, etc is an obvious answer, but I am not necessarily looking to go as far south as that region. Does anyone know of any climbing base camps anywhere around Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, Brazil? Any advice helps, thanks!

Carla R · · San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Look into Tres Picos in the state of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. It's about 3 hours away from the city of Rio and has amazing climbing in a remote-feeling location (I climbed there a bit last year and rarely saw others on the walls if at all, a stark difference from Yosemite which I'm used to). Awesome granite, beautiful lines. There is a place there called Republica Tres Picos you can use as a base for most all of the climbs, sort of like a climber's refuge.

There is endless climbing in the city also, and many other places within the state of Rio and around the country (look into Serra dos Orgaos, Itatiatia, Dedo de Deus, Lencois/Bahia, Minas Gerais, etc). There are a few gyms and many climbers out there so you can definitely find a partner...

Beaches/rainforest galore, approaches to climbs through those kinds of environments, wonderful people, great food...I think about the climbs there everyday!

PM me if you want more info or connects.

Tyson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 3

Ecuador would be a solid option. There is definitely a local climbing community and it's easy/cheap to get around if you know some Spanish. I just left Cuenca and there is a climber's hostel where it seems easy to find partners. There are also a number of other crags around the country and some good guidebooks.

Colombia has some super-good crags as well and also has a good climbing scene. It seems a bit cheaper than Ecuador. You could start at Suesca (near Bogota) where there is a climber's hostel. There is also a climbing gym in Bogota where you could meet people.

I haven't been to Rio, but it sounds amazing.

Mike Grainger · · Waterloo, ON Canada · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

I second Suesca as a good location for a lone climber; there is sport climbing there but you will get a lot more out of it if you can place gear.

La Mojarra is another excellent climbing hangout in Colombia - sport climbing rules here. Suesca is only about an hour out of Bogota, while La Mojarra takes more time and effort to get to, but you will find a very chill scene with lots of international climbers once you get there.

grete · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Thank you guys so much!!! This was so helpful!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply