Mountain Project Logo

Roadtrip to the Homestead

Original Post
Mr. Hummus · · SLC, Utah · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 41

Hey folks, visiting the homestead is our back up plan if Bishop has bad weather at the end of january. So hopefully someone would be kind enough to offer a little beta.
I drive a Subaru, and so does my climbing partner for the trip, so we're wondering about road conditions to the Homestead. How are the road conditions right now? and is it passable with a subaru outback? if it's a little gnarly, could we bring a few 2/4's and get through?
Also, if the road is to gnar for a Subaru, what are our camping options? from what I can tell from the little map, we need to pass the high clearance area to get to the main camping.
Can we camp at a nice spot and hike in past the high clearance 4x4 road to climb?
Any and all help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Jake Gluck · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 20

The road was worked on in early December. It's still rough but I saw several Subaru Outback make it up the road. I'm not sure of the current condition of the road or if there's been bad weather there or not recently.
If you cant make it up there's a parking lot/ camping area on the left after you go through the first gate but before you start go up the hill. It would be a long hike to the climbing but worth it.

J.Kruse · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 100

Was just there between Xmas and NYE. The road is pretty gnarly. I didn't see anything but high clearance 4x4's, but you could certainly try your luck in a Subaru. We did NOT have an adequate vehicle and camped on the AZ State Trust land just past the first gate after getting off the highway. I think the odds of someone giving you trouble are pretty low, but if you want to be on the up and up get a pass here. Be advised, this area is pretty low lying and it was wet from the recent rains while we were there. The hike from this area to the trailhead for the canyon was about an hour, and then another 10-30 minutes depending on where you want to climb. We stashed gear so we didn't have to hike it in everyday and were lucky enough to hitch rides back and forth a couple times. The climbing is good, but I probably wouldn't go back unless I had a way to get up the road and avoid the long hike.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

You need a jeep or at least a 4x4 truck to get up that road. A tank if it has rained/snowed recently.

If you're keen on Cochise you should PM me. Trying to find keeners. Your Subaru shouldn't have a problem there.

manuel rangel · · Arizona · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 3,838

It is not a Subaru worthy road; unless you don't care about the road. You will beat it mercilessly to get to the parking and cause more damage than using a high clearance 4x4.

But this is the land of the free. It's up to you.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply