Mountain Project Logo

Any advice on Boulder

Original Post
Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

My wife and I are moving there in 2018 strictly for the climbing. I've heard there's endless crags close by. I also heard the majority of the locals are snobby. Anyone know if this is true? My wife will have a teaching job at a local school but I will be looking for work. Is it tough to find work there? Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 33

Here we go again... Yes there are a lot of crags near Boulder, but the same is true for any other frontrange city. The climbing in these road cut canyons leaves much to be desired. They are only popular because of their proximity to local gluten free eateries and brew pubs so people can meet after and spray about themselves. In short you have believed the hype and will regret coming here. My advice is to move to Utah.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Tyler Metheney wrote:My wife and I are moving there in 2018 strictly for the climbing. I've heard there's endless crags close by. I also heard the majority of the locals are snobby. Anyone know if this is true? My wife will have a teaching job at a local school but I will be looking for work. Is it tough to find work there? Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!
This post violated Boulder Community Climbing standards and has been deleted.

Good luck!
trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

I live in South Boulder. I am a 3 minute run from a trail that will take me 10-15 minutes to run to the base of the flatirons. from there I have about 1000ish routes to climb, maybe 400ish that are easy enough to do without a rope. It is a great way to get a workout in that also include easy climbing or scrambling.

If I want to climb trad, I am a 10 minute drive to eldorado canyon. There are probably 1000ish climbs in the canyon. I still have hundreds that I want to do, and many many more that I will never be good enough to try.

Or I can drive a bit north (maybe 10-15 minutes) and go to boulder canyon. There are probably 1000 or so climbs in BC. A very good mix of sport and trad. I have never been as stoked to climb in BC. If Boulder only had access to boulder canyon I still think it would be considered one of the better climbing towns in the US.

Or you can go bouldering at any of the above mentioned locations along with some really fun stuff on flagstaff mountain.

The climbing is pretty readily available here.

What industry are you looking to work in?

D Argyle · · Green Mountain Falls, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 570

Good luck finding a place to live on a teacher's salary!

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Indisputably a lot of climbing near Boulder. Lots and lots of okay climbing local to Boulder which is sustainable for weekend warriors and after work climbers. Good HQ for CO climbing.

The Climber Residence Permit is a bit of a pain in the ass to get but most pass the test the first time.

What work are you looking for? Are you a laborer, engineer, etc...?

Boulderites aren't necessarily snobby. If anything they truly believe that Boulder is the center of the climbing, skiing, hiking, biking, rafting, running, and actual universe.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tyler Metheney wrote:My wife and I are moving there in 2018 strictly for the climbing. I've heard there's endless crags close by. I also heard the majority of the locals are snobby. Anyone know if this is true? My wife will have a teaching job at a local school but I will be looking for work. Is it tough to find work there? Any input would be appreciated. Cheers!
So you're definitely moving and you've done zero research (or are just starting) on your new locale?

We've been researching. We went to winter park 3 months ago an didn't have time to scout it out(boulder). I just here mixed things. What's the crag atmosphere like?

grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:The Climber Residence Permit is a bit of a pain in the ass to get but most pass the test the first time.
DO NOT listen to Greg, unless you want to get stuck climbing in Castlewood Canyon forever!

Take it seriously and hire a study guide.

I think I'll be fine with the rest An yes my wife teaches mentally challenged kids an she makes good money an on top of my income we will be ok money wise. Already scoped some places out. Im excited for it. It will be a big transition in climbing for me. Plus, I love the outdoors. Appreciate the feedback everyone.

ChossKing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Choss

Im 50% disabled veteran. So really I just need a steady job. Doesn't have to pay well.

Charlie1590 · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Colorado is absolutely the worst. Definitely don't move here.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Mark is correct. How do you think that I ended up in albuquerque? I now need a visa to enter The Republic :-(.

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
Tyler Metheney wrote:We've been researching. We went to winter park 3 months ago an didn't have time to scout it out(boulder). I just here mixed things. What's the crag atmosphere like?
I've never thought much about crag atmosphere (LOL) but it's usually chill if you aren't being a dick.

Utah is nice too.

Well, guess I need to start researching this test.

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
Tyler Metheney wrote:Well, guess I need to start researching this test.

You won't find anything...

So do you just up an take it? There's no way to study?

Zach M · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0
Tyler Metheney wrote:We've been researching. We went to winter park 3 months ago an didn't have time to scout it out(boulder). I just here mixed things. What's the crag atmosphere like?
It depends on the grade you climb, like anything else. If you love scrambling up to 5.6, it's an amazing place. If you sport climb in the mid 11s or above, it is also great. If you only sport climb 8s or 9s, don't care for long approaches, and don't like crowds, you can end up with a really negative opinion of the area.

My advice would be to take apartment hunting very seriously. There are some real terrible one bedrooms for $1800 a month, and some amazing two bedrooms for $1400 per month. You won't know until you visit each. If you plan on renting a house, this goes double, you'll see identical houses renting for $2500 and $4000 per month

The school systems vary a lot from district to district. Boulder Valley pays the most, but is the hardest to get a job in (expect 300+ applications for each teaching job). It also has a reputation for jerking new teachers around a little bit. Jeffco is supposed to be a tire fire. St. Vrain is a little bit of a drive, but has a better reputation as a workplace then Jeffco. Your wife should take the personality tests seriously for BVSD and Jeffco, they actually disqualify people for bad results, and if you get a bad result, they will silently reject all applications without telling you. You said you were planning on 2018, so I'm making the assumption that she doesn't have a job lined up yet. Around March or April is when positions usually open up for the following year, and you will want to pick a house based on where you find work. Driving from south Boulder to Longmont is miserable, and going from north Boulder to Golden would be just as bad. Schools pay on a 12 month schedule, so plan on 3/4s of the salary you'd expect for the first year, you'll get it back the following summer, when she is getting paid, but not working.
gspup wrote: You won't find anything...
Good point, it's kind of kept under the radar. I'd better delete my first post before anyone sees it.

S**t, too late!
plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 40

Know your dose, especially when climbing at high altitude.

dailycamera.com/ci_23281735…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply