Mountain Project Logo

Basic Info request for Argentina/Patagonia

Original Post
donWolf Konecny · · N Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Hello I'm interested in climbing somewhere good weather in late Jan and Feb. Malaga and Kalymnos appear to be too cold. I won't have a partner so I'd like something like Tonsai where I just show up and can get a partner every day for sport climbing (trad preferred). If Argentina fits that bill, what city do I fly into and how do I get to Bariloche or is there somewhere else better? I'm sure once I get to one place, I could figure out the rest.

I'm also open to other suggestions. Tonsai/Laos are very hot for me or I'd go back.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

el potrero chico

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Patagonia is massive with tons of climbing. Where do you want to climb? You mentioned trad as preferred, but then asked about sport partners? That said, you should have no issues finding partners that time of year at most popular/known areas.

Natalie Nicole · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

the schmuck what would be the popular areas? How difficult is it to just pop up in say, Torres del Paine, and find a multipitch trad partner?

What has been your experience with random partners in Patagonia? Would you say their experience level is across the board or that for the most part, people know what they're doing?

Crotch Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 105

Natalie,

It would be quite difficult to show up in Puerto Natales and find a partner to climb in the Paine. Chalten would be an easier place to find a partner for long routes if you are super competent.

Natalie Nicole · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks Crotch Robbins. So what would the likely other options be? I'm just trying to sort out whether it's worth heading down with the chance of not being able to climb during the trip due to issues such as finding a partner and the weather.

Crotch Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 105

The first 4 weeks I was there we didn't get a single weather window for the big routes, but I wasn't bored because of the excellent hiking/trekking. Still, if you want to get up a big route in Chalten or Paine you need time, luck, or a partner and the ability to fly down on short notice for a weather window.

I haven't been to either, but I believe the weather would be better in Cochamo or Bariloche. Maybe someone else can speak to the likelihood of finding partners there.

rpc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 575

I'd guess Cochamo (flying into Puerto Montt, Chile), Frey (flying into Bariloche, Argentina) and Los Arenales (flying into Mendoza, Argentina) would all offer a reasonable chance of finding a partner (though have not tried going partnerless myself) and likely have better weather than the other options mentioned above. Specific order would be Frey (most crowded), Cochamo, and Los Arenales (least crowded).

donWolf Konecny · · N Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0
rpc wrote:I'd guess Cochamo (flying into Puerto Montt, Chile), Frey (flying into Bariloche, Argentina) and Los Arenales (flying into Mendoza, Argentina) would all offer a reasonable chance of finding a partner (though have not tried going partnerless myself) and likely have better weather than the other options mentioned above. Specific order would be Frey (most crowded), Cochamo, and Los Arenales (least crowded).
And the award goes to rpc for actually answering the questions...(specifically where to fly to because after that I can probably figure it out)
Thanks all for the input!

PS What I saw on the MP area for Argentina it looked as though there 70 climbs in the country. Which did not sound right to me.

I've only been to Frey and Piedra Parada, trad and sport respectively. There would be no issues finding partners at those areas. I have friends who hooked up with new partners for the bigger objectives down south, but that was after spending the entire season there.

rpc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 575

Shoot me a pm if you need more details on logistics, guidebooks etc. for those 3 areas.

Don, you are talking about an area larger than California, with literally thousands of routes of all types. Bariloche is good for the northern stuff, Esquel may be an option also. Cochamo is best accessed through Chile, but you can also get in through bariloche and El Bolson (bariloche flight).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply