Focus points for competition.

Original Post
Matthew Fields · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 25

So I am new to climbing and new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this is a common newb post. I have started bouldering two previous times in my life once about 3 years ago and had to stop because of non-climbing related arm injury then again a year later and had to stop for a non-climbing related head injury. I started again about 3 months ago and this time with a lot of conviction and dedication. Since then I started learning roped climbing as well but my passion remains in bouldering and I use the ropes really for stamina workouts. I was able to complete 5.9 routes in my first week of rope climbing and currently I have completed a few V5s and can top any new V3 that goes up when they add routes at my gym. I spend a ton of time working out in preparation for climbing and go to the rock gym at least 3 times a week. I watch a ton of youtube videos and am reading a few different climbing books including freedom of the hills. The hard thing for me now is I am 30 years old and most of the clubs and groups in my area are for youth or college age climbers. I want to compete but feel that I am peaking at my ability level without better climbers around me to observe and learn from. Its very difficult for me to observe myself while climbing and make adjustments to improve by myself. Are there any good resources for finding local climbing teams or clubs? Do the majority of bouldering climbers train alone to a specific point? If this is the case what level should I be aiming for before looking for a club or team? I know this is kind of a ramble but like I said I am new to all this.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265

Hey, Matthew! First, I get that you want a team for adults, not kids, but I doubt anyone can help you much, without more info.

Fill out your page some, and consider posting your (gym?) question in the appropriate regional forum, or partner forum.

Welcome back to climbing!

Best, OLH

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply