Mountain Project Logo

non-china origin approach shoe?

Original Post
J.Kruse · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 801

Can anyone recommend some approach shoes that are not made in China? I used to love guide tennies (had an old MUSA pair that lasted like 5 years), but 5.10's quality has gone way down in recent years. Blew thru a pair of Aescents way faster than expected, don't want to spend my money on that crap. I looked into Sportiva, but I can't figure out which models come from Italy still and which are outsourced. Any tips for a quality shoe? Thanks.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

SCARPAs are still made in Italy. Just checked my tech ascents to confirm and it's printed on the tongue.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Evolv is located in California and a number of friends like the Cruzer. You can contact them to see where final assembly takes place.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Five tens have gone down in quality due to using really really fine rubber this means the rubber will actually stretch and the shoe will actually delaminate.
I have never read or experienced any issues with lasportiva approach shoes (climbing shoes yes approach shoes no), I have heard about scarpa's delaminating but this seems very very rare, same story with evolv (evolv are made in the USA btw).
So in conclusion stick with la sportiva, scarpa or evolv and stay far away from 5.10 pure trash.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
that guy named seb wrote:Five tens have gone down in quality due to using really really rubber
What is "really really rubber"? Is it the type of rubber that is missing a word?
FrankPS wrote: What is "really really rubber"? Is it the type of rubber that is missing a word?
fixed
J.Kruse · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 801

yeah, i really used to like five ten shoes. it's a shame how they've gone down. thanks for the tips.
J.Kruse wrote: yeah, i really used to like five ten shoes. it's a shame how they've gone down. thanks for the tips.
If you think thats bad you should see my tennies!! The rubber has actually split as well as delaminated.
Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

related article...

google.com/amp/s/outsideonl…

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I am in love with my Scarpa Crux approach shoes. I have hiked 20+ miles in a day and lead 5.8 trad in them and had no complaints.

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
J.Kruse wrote:Can anyone recommend some approach shoes that are not made in China?
Sure. Plenty of them are made in Vietnam.
Tim Lutz wrote:just abut any brand of a skate shoe is a WAY more durable than a climbing approach shoe I know you don't get sticky rubber, but if this isn't an issue, they will last way longer A buddy really likes his Addidas approach shoes, and I beleive they have 5.10 rubber or the like
i can solo 5.7 in approach shoes comfortable, i would be in tears if i was in skate shoes.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "non-china origin approach shoe?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started