Stretch on LS testarossas?

Original Post
Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hi all. Do any long time testarossa owners have any input on how much the shoes stretch? I've read a ton of reviews on backcountry/LS website saying the shoes either stretched a ton, or not at all. Makes it kind of difficult to buy when I can't decide on a good fit out of the box, or painful out of the box with a break in.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I should also add, I wear Katana Laces in a 41.5. The fit is snug. Tops of toes hurt a little bit from rubbing after a pitch, but otherwise no real discomfort. The KL fits me like a sock.

Jon Rhoderick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 845

I haven't worn mine in a while but here is my story:

Street shoe 10 or 10.5
First pair of Miuras: 40.0 (could never do again)
Testarossas: 40.5 (tight)
Most of Sportiva shoes I have now or would get now: 41-42

I bet people who say it does stretch or doesn't previously wore synthetic or unlined leather shoes, respectively. The red on the testarossa's is unlined leather and will stretch, and the yellow is lorica and won't. This means it will likely stretch for you more widthwise than lengthwise, also the way they lace it allows for alot of width-tightening after they break in. I would err on good fit out of the box, its not going to get any longer, and you should be able to adequately manage any break in.
hope that helps

Ralph Swansen · · Denver CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 335

I get my Testarossas .5 size smaller than my muiras (lace and vs.) and my Katanas. They fit like an extra layer of skin. Strangely, they do not seem tighter. They are only slightly uncomfortable when I first get them and after about ten pitches they are worn in nicely and do not stretch more.

Again, I get all other Sportiva 41.5 and my Testarossas 41. Dunno why.

I pull these shoes out when I want to send hard sport and hard slab. They fucking rock.

I second a good and only slightly tight fit out of the box.

Jose Gutierrez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Hi Lardtazium, I love my Testarossas and I have had 2 pairs (each resoled once). The do stretch and as such if you size them properly they will be painful out of the box. Both times with the new shoes I could not stand to have them on my feet for more than 1 or 2 boulders. However after ~2 sessions they will stretch and fit like a glove and are quite comfortable for how aggressive they are. I have wide feet and I love that I can lace them up to perfectly fit my feet.

My street shoe is around 9.5-10. I wear size 40 testarosas, and 41 TC Pro's

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

I wear my Testarossas in the same size as my Katana Laces (these are my two favorite shoes). I could probably go a half size smaller but I'm happy with the performance. They stretch in that they mold to your foot; they don't get sloppy.

For me a 43 Katana Lace fits my forefoot pretty comfortably but has voids on the sides of the heel. Testarossas in 43 give a snug fit all around, with just a tiny amount of dead space around the heel. That space goes away in 42.5, and I can even cram my foot into a 42, but that really starts to crush my toes. With this sizing I don't feel like I'm giving anything up, and I can wear them for an hour of bouldering.

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 137

+1 on Testes 1/2 size smaller than Katana Laces

My sizing preference, for what it's worth:
11.0 - LS running shoes
10.5 - 5.10 Pinks, very comfy all day fit
43.5 - Katana Lace, take em off at every other belay on multi
42.5 - Testarossa, sport fit, can boulder untied
42.0 - Testarossa, got rid of these and sized up, didn't notice any better performance

Hope that helps!

Lardtazium · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Noah Yetter wrote:I wear my Testarossas in the same size as my Katana Laces (these are my two favorite shoes). I could probably go a half size smaller but I'm happy with the performance. They stretch in that they mold to your foot; they don't get sloppy. For me a 43 Katana Lace fits my forefoot pretty comfortably but has voids on the sides of the heel. Testarossas in 43 give a snug fit all around, with just a tiny amount of dead space around the heel. That space goes away in 42.5, and I can even cram my foot into a 42, but that really starts to crush my toes. With this sizing I don't feel like I'm giving anything up, and I can wear them for an hour of bouldering.
So I tried on testes in a 41 (I wear 41.5 in Kat lace). It was pretty uncomfortable on my toes. However, I'm wondering if this is just something you have to deal with as you switch from a relatively flat, symmetrical shoe to a downturned asymmetrical shoe.

Input?
Jon Rhoderick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 845

Could you try 41.5?
In your position I'd go with 41.5, they are a technical enough shoe tthat you don't need to size down to discomfort.

Jose Gutierrez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10
Lardtazium wrote: So I tried on testes in a 41 (I wear 41.5 in Kat lace). It was pretty uncomfortable on my toes. However, I'm wondering if this is just something you have to deal with as you switch from a relatively flat, symmetrical shoe to a downturned asymmetrical shoe. Input?
In my experience the first couple of times I wore them they were almost excruciating. For the first ~2 sessions I opened up the laces in the toe box as much as possible and didn't lace them up at all or very loosely. However now those same shoes fit very comfortably and I can boulder for about a half hour before I feel like I need to take them off. The great thing about the testarossas is that it is leather and not rubber around your toes which allows them to stretch nicely to fit your feet, the downside is they are not great for toe-hooking.

I don't want to sandbag you into downsizing too much, but I think you could probably go with the 41s.

FWIW my buddy had to use plastic bags just to get the heel cup on and now his fit him great. One caveat is that I tried to get my fiancee to use them, but she never found them to be comfortable but I think this is due to her long toes which makes it difficult for them to curl comfortably (so you might not wan't to downsize if you have really long toes).
Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
Lardtazium wrote: So I tried on testes in a 41 (I wear 41.5 in Kat lace). It was pretty uncomfortable on my toes. However, I'm wondering if this is just something you have to deal with as you switch from a relatively flat, symmetrical shoe to a downturned asymmetrical shoe. Input?
Loosen the laces at the toe, they're too tight out of the box (for me anyway). I didn't much like the shoes when I first got them because of this, then when I figured it out I started warming up to them.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply