Planning a trip to Kentucky or Arkansas

Original Post
Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Some advice please. Which would you prefer for sport climbing? Horshoe canyon or red river gorge. Cost is a factor to. Thanks for any feedback.

John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 165

It depends on what grade you climb. If you climb at or below 5.10 I would suggest Horseshoe as it has many quality climbs in that range. If you're climbing 5.11-5.12 or harder I would recommend the RRG as the climbs in this range are world class, inspiring, and are very aesthetic and atypical to sandstone sport climbing that I've done. Most notable are severely overhanging routes with big holds and huge movement between. The 5.10s at RRG seem like every other southern sandstone sport 5.10 at any area, and were not inspiring to me. Have fun!

JD Borgeson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,065

agreed with ^. something else to consider is how much you want to drive and hike. the red has a bunch of different crags and most people camp at miguels as a kind of base camp. you wake up and have to drive to whichever crag, then hike in and out, then drive back. at horseshoe, if you come with enough food, you can park your car and not need it the rest of your stay (of course, there are more crags near there with arguably better routes if you climb more in the 5.11 or 12 range). horseshoe also only has one guide book, while the red has two (though this isn't a big deal really). In fact, you can get the entire AR rope climbing guide, which includes horseshoe (though the horseshoe specific guide includes bouldering) in one book. another thing to consider is that horseshoe has excellent bouldering as well, in case you get the itch to pebble wrestle. not much of that in Kentucky. miguels is $2 a night to camp in the red, which will be a lot cheaper than the $10 a day to climb and $5 a night to camp. the only crag that charges at the red is muir (I think). Where are you travelling from btw?

I climb steady 10abcd
Can climb up to 11d.
Due to location I think I am gonna go to horshoe. Anybody planning a trip there soon? Got rope, draws, webbing, an act. I got a real flexible schedule.

Traveling from stl

JD Borgeson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 1,065

try the Arkansas climbers facebook page. lots more people psyched on horseshoe there.

Yea I did an you are correct.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply