Advice on where to climb in TN 1/6-1/10

Original Post
Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 378

Hi everyone. I am driving to Nashville from NC this weekend for a wedding. I am not sure when I will have free time, but I was aiming to climb for a day or two. I want to climb easy trad 5.6-5.8 or easy/moderate sport 5.8-5.10. Looks like there's the possibility of snow, but also some clear (and cold) days.

Which areas should I try to climb at? Looking for local's advice. I was thinking about The Obed since it is on the way, as well as King's Bluff since it is close to Nashville. Going down to Chattanooga is possible too, but it is somewhat out of the way.

Chet Butterworth · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 285

Not a lot of the described traditional climbs at the Obed (and basically none at Kings) but South Clear and Tierrany Wall stay in the sun with lots of good bolt clipping (and some good trad as well!). Good bouldering too, if you like upside-down staircases. Plus excellent camping and onsite brewery.

Tennessee Wall is excellent in the winter with superb trad.

Benandstuff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 378

So South Clear and Tierrany get lots of sun. How about King's Bluff? What temps should I look for to be comfortable in those places?

Also if it snows do those spots get icy/seep?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

T-Wall.

Chet Butterworth · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 285

What I remember living in Nashville is that Kings Bluff gets good sun. I remember a pleasant day climbing with tons of snow on the top of the cliff and across the river. That was a fun day at an otherwise shoulder-shruggy crag.

At Tierrany or T-Wall, you can climb in a t-shirt in the thirties if it's a sunny day. The hikes to both crags are "aerobic" for a nice warm-up too.

I can't vouch for snow seepage at either but I'd be surprised if it was an issue.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply