What is Really Going On?

Original Post
FourT6and2 Haftel · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

We've all seen that video of Dan Osman speed climbing Bear's Reach at Lover's Leap (and now Honald). It's pretty awesome and all that, but I have a question. Forgive me if this has been discussed before, as I'm sure it has but it's cold outside and I'm bored so I'm asking again...

The videos want the viewer to believe these guys are climbing this thing all in one go. But there are multiple cuts throughout each clip, and from different perspectives. For example, there will be a shot that looks like the camera man is hanging right there on the wall next to the climber as they go buy. Then immediately after, it cuts to a shot from the ground looking up as the climber keeps going. But there is no camera man hanging on the rock.

So that leads me to believe it wasn't shot all at once. Maybe the climber does a short section. They film it. The climber stops. They set up for another shot from a different perspective. The climber continues. And so on. I don't know.

Did these guys climb the thing in one go, time it, and then do it again in short sections so they could film it?

I'm not skeptical that these guys actually did the climb. I'm just wondering about how they shot it.

FrankPS wrote:It's possible there were multiple photographers stationed on different parts of the climb. Isn't it?
No. Because none of them are in the shots. If they cut to an immediate overhead shot from a below shot, you would see the previous camera man... But you don't. So it's pretty obvious the cuts represent a huge break in time as they moved around to recompose a new shot.

Hmmm, just found this from an interview with Honald. So I guess that confirms my thoughts.

"I actually did my time of 4:15 a few years ago on a random day while I was driving by. I climbed the route 4 times that day, each time I'd go up as fast as I could and then down climb it slowly. 4:15 was my last burn and then I called it good. The day we filmed I only climbed the whole route once and did it in probably about 5 minutes. We spent our time filming the different sections piece by piece (the same way Dano did)."

http://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/climbing/alex-honnold-interview-after-dan-osman-speed-solo-tribute-on-bears-reach.html

T Roper · · DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 730

Thanks dude now my Honnold poster is coming down...

lol I'm sure he's still super dreamy up on your wall though

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

OK, I just watched part of the Osman video again. At about 00:52, you see another party ahead of him, also moving pretty well.

I don't think we're seeing the whole climb, since the video is only 1:48, and the climb took something like four minutes.

It's a good question, but I'm not convinced it wasn't done all at once.

Edit: Just saw your post, so it wasn't done all at once! At least by Honnold.

Don Ferris · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

I think the athlete performs the stunt (in this case the speed solo) while the camera crew film from key spots then they revisit certain moments later for better footage.

Don Ferris wrote:I think the athlete performs the stunt (in this case the speed solo) while the camera crew film from key spots then they revisit certain moments later for better footage.
That certainly seems plausible.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply