February in Albuquerque

Original Post
Ken Hamel · · Bristol, RI · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for where and what to climb around Albuquerque, NM in February...to be exact the last full week in February.
I have to be out there for a trade show, and will have free days to climb/explore.

As for my level...trad 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, some 5.9 if it's friendly. Sport...up to 5.10a. I tend not to climb out of my comfort zone.

Any advice/direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wes Martin · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

I would say it really depends on the weather while you are here, which is quite unpredictable. If it is warm and sunny you can do some stuff in the Sandias, right next to ABQ, at your level I'd recommend Estrelita and Miss Piggy. If it's too snowy or cold for the Sandias head to Socorro, Diablo Canyon, or White Rock, those are the all the closest to ABQ.

Cheers!

Thanks for your thoughts and insight Wes!!!!

Ain't That Rich · · White Oaks, NM · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Things start warming up in the Sandias in February, but the approaches, especially from the top can be gnarly well into April. The crest is worth a few hours of your time if this is your first visit here, but expect alpine conditions hiking down the upper La Luz.

Lower La Cueva canyon might be your best bet for moderate multipitch climbing. You can get to the base of Gemstone in less than an hour from downtown ABQ. And, of course, you could spend a couple of lifetimes bouldering in the foothills.

Swithich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 0

Socorro and Diablo will suit you at your climbing level. That would be my recommendation. Both have a enough climbing in your range to get a week out of it.

It is a 90 minute drive each way.

-Swithich

Thanks AGAIN! for the great information!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply