Mountain Project Logo

Guide's Pack ideas

Original Post
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

Looking into the Osprey Variant 37 or one of the Salewa guide packs in the 35L range.
Ideas?...suggestions?...

Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 1,913

It depends what you're looking for in particular. I've found the size range of 45-50L works well for hauling all the gear out to take people climbing assuming you're carrying most of the gear. This size is a bit big if you plan on climbing with a pack on though. I wouldn't go any bigger than 40L for that. Just my 2¢.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Osprey makes a fine pack, has excellent customer service and a standout warranty.

If you want something bombproof for guiding, have you looked at

coldcoldworldpacks.com/

Derek Doucet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 53
jdejace wrote:If you want something bombproof for guiding, have you looked at coldcoldworldpacks.com/
+ about a million. The best true climbing packs on the market by miles...
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 745

Given what and where you are at, start with a bag that will outlast you. Plan on getting another monster pack for longer multiple days out.
But for carrying gear to crags, climbing from the base or hauling? (Short or long)
There are more than a few choices . . .

From the woods of Pennsylvania to the walls of Timbuktu
The only pack you ever need for everything you do from sleep in it to hauling water
The ATOM SMASHER DELUXE

fishproducts.com/catalog/ha…

jdejace wrote:Osprey makes a fine pack, has excellent customer service and a standout warranty. If you want something bombproof for guiding, have you looked at coldcoldworldpacks.com/
I have in fact. only issue is I need to alleviate stress on my neck and lower back and have had a frameless pack before and it gave me grief all the time!
I spoke with the owner and he said I'd probably be fine with the one model but otherwise I should look elsewhere if I'm worried about a framesheet etc.
jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Fair enough especially if you're carrying someone else's stuff while guiding. I have the older Variant that Alpinist reviewed, it's comfy. Osprey's customer service has always been good to me.

Rodney P · · Ouray,CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 335

Jason, I sent you 2 emails with pics just now, let me know if you didn't get them!

Rodney P wrote:Jason, I sent you 2 emails with pics just now, let me know if you didn't get them!
Just looked at them. I'll let you know,.. waiting to hear back from another person as well.

So, between the Variant 37 and the Mutant 38...What are my pros and cons between them? (for guys who have them, own them ,use them!

I like the variant 52 I have now, the capacity, the way its one big barrel on your back, but with comfort, and guessing the 37 variation will be the same, I like the pocket in the front of the bag on the variant, great for a quick stash, crampons, etc, but don't dig the 3.3 lbs weight ratio of the pack as per the osprey website specs.
Not sure about the mutant,...never owned one,no shops around where i can even look at one! Is the hip belt the same size on the mutant as with the variant? a few pics had me wondering, seemed a bit unclear?? Mutant looks narrower?

Patrick Corry · · PA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 75

I have had a Mutant 38 and loved the way it carried, but it had more straps dangling than I could tolerate! That's purely a personal quirk of mine... I like my packs to be all nailed down and tight. That said, I am very content with my current climbing packs- a modified Cold Cold World Ozone for smaller loads, and a Cilogear 40B for somewhat larger loads. I've also got a Wild Things Icesac, around 50 liters, which is an old standard and hard to beat. It does not have a frame structure and is kind of painful if heavily loaded.

However, if I were in the market for a new climbing pack I would look really hard at the Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack 35-45. lowealpine.com/us/climbing/… apparently expandable and has some great features... like the tool attachment and cinching strap system. It also appears to have more back/frame support than my current packs. Plus, the black is pretty conservative looking, which I like! Good luck.

Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 171

You might want to look at the lowe alpine packs. I'm pretty pleased with my alpine attack 35+ for 1-day climbs. I have an osprey variant 52, and it's good for overnighters, but I'm disliking the "crampon pouch" thing more and more every time I use it.

lowealpine.com/us/

Ben Stabley wrote:You might want to look at the lowe alpine packs. I'm pretty pleased with my alpine attack 35+ for 1-day climbs. I have an osprey variant 52, and it's good for overnighters, but I'm disliking the "crampon pouch" thing more and more every time I use it. lowealpine.com/us/
Thank you for the recommendation, however, I actually had a low Alpine that I sent back after I tried it out with a full load I wasn't a fan of the really skinny hip belt at all! The pact itself was built beautifully and looked completely gone through! But no matter how bomb-proof it was, it carried like a dog on my back
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

So what makes a guide pack a Guide Pack? Is there a tip pocket on the waist belt?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745
Kevin Mokracek wrote:So what makes a guide pack a Guide Pack? Is there a tip pocket on the waist belt?
10 AMGA patches sewn on would do the trick.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Kevin Mokracek wrote:So what makes a guide pack a Guide Pack? Is there a tip pocket on the waist belt?
A tie in point for a 10 person leash.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply