Mountain Project Logo

Camper shell window covering?

Original Post
Ben Glanton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there that camp in your truck. Any ideas on covering the 3 windows of the shell?

Kauait · · Sandy Utah · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Flag of choice! You could even hang it upside down;)
Or flat black paint (inside) works well.

Brett Brotherton · · Arvada, CO · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 120

I cut some old sheets that were black and sewed the edges then put the hook side of iron on Velcro on the corners and it sticks to the carpet lining in the topper. Works great, easy to put on/take off and nothing hanging stays tight against the windows.

Nyte Knight · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

I did something similar to my Honda Pilot. When its rainy/cold or I just don't want to put up my tent, I throw down my second and third seat and it becomes my "metal tent."

For the side and back windows, I made a template from cardboard of the size/shape of the window, then cut and taped together a custom window covering from this: amazon.com/gp/product/B000B…;psc=1

Because my windows are tinted, you can see I have something up against the window, but not exactly that it's this shiny reflective material. Blocks the light out and I assume keeps it insulated, but I'm typically sleeping on a queen sized air mattress and a mess ton of sleeping bags and blankets so I'm warm either way.

oh and to clarify, if you cut it a bit bigger (like 1/8th inch bigger) than the actual window size, you can stuff it into the frame and it doesn't fall out. I originally bought curtain tension rods to hold it into place, but I found out that I don't really need them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply