Mountain Project Logo

Rope Access Jobs?

Original Post
jlind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 33

Who here has there rope access certificatons?

I am interested in pursuing a career change and i am womdering what the opportunities are
Ike in the rope access field. What type of work is performed? What other skills do i need or what should i get in addition to the rope access certs?

Thanks in advance!

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

My additional question:
Is it an industry where part time / casual workers are embraced?

Ryan M · · Vancouver · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I work as a Rope Tech up in BC, I'd suggest getting an IRATA ticket, Occupational Fist Aid 1, and then hustling for window cleaning gigs to get your hours built up.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348
Ryan M wrote:I work as a Rope Tech up in BC, I'd suggest getting an IRATA ticket, Occupational Fist Aid 1, and then hustling for window cleaning gigs to get your hours built up.
SPRAT is the primary standard in the USA. IRATA works, but you have to put in double the number of hours to get your level II and III certification.

Anyway, rope access certifications are just a vehicle to get to your job--they are not the job itself. Rope access cert typically need to be paired with a trade of some sort--electrician, welder, pipe fitter, NDT, ect. A level I SPRAT/ IRATA cert by itself wont get you much more than washing windows, painting radio towers or similar stuff and it wont pay that great. The big pay goes to those who have an in demand trade skill as well as a level III rope access cert. Those guys can make $100 an hour.

The owner of the rope access training center I attended said that right now the hot ticket is a trade certification that is stamped by the American Petroleum Institute. Getting a job working in the oil field with an API approved certification paired with a rope access cert can supposedly yield some legit cash. I woudlent know from experience though as my rope access work does not involve the oil industry.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply