touchingrocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Go ahead and post detailed photos of all the gear

Fred Durrance · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 90
touchingrocks wrote:Go ahead and post detailed photos of all the gear
I added them to the original post
touchingrocks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Do you have a size for the gloves?

Rkelly666 · · Bakersfield California · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

All very old and dangerous gear. Not worth selling. Please PM for proper disposal

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

The "other straps" also known as webbing isn't worth selling and nobody would want it anyway. Most of the carabiners, at least the REI ones, have no antique value and would probably sell for less than a dollar apiece. Based on the age of other gear, I'd guess nobody would want to buy the ropes.

The stoppers and hexes have some value, especially the chouinard ones. My guess is the gloves are valuable.

the 2 things you called " big silver object with circle marked Ross Anderson smc, gold loop marked k63000 Camp Italy" are figure 8 descenders. The silver one is an SMC rescue 8 and may have some antique value. The gold one is more basic and looks to be more modern, maybe worth $5 if you're lucky.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

The ropes and webbing are trash (i.e. not for climbing). The hardware $4 for the hexes and $3 for the stoppers, $2 for the biners. These are per piece prices.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Rkelly666 wrote:All very old and dangerous gear. Not worth selling. Please PM for proper disposal
don't listen to this guy, it's a joke but it sounds like you aren't much of a climber so you probably wouldn't get it.
mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

Was your father Jack Durrance?

all the gear has been stored in a room with a dehumidifier since last use, and the two and three dollar values you gave is that a piece or for all of them

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Fred Durrance wrote:all the gear has been stored in a room with a dehumidifier since last use, and the two and three dollar values you gave is that a piece or for all of them
For the hard goods (i.e., made of metal), I'd say he meant per piece most likely. Keep in mind the buyer will have to replace any cord threaded through the nuts since it has aged and cannot reliably be assessed for safety.

The soft goods (ropes, nylon webbing, etc), those are not usable for climbing anymore for the same reason. However, someone making art projects, dog leashes, rope rugs, etc might like them.
Jonathan Cunha · · Bolinas, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 62

EBAY is the way to go

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Fred Durrance wrote:all the gear has been stored in a room with a dehumidifier since last use, and the two and three dollar values you gave is that a piece or for all of them
Yes, that is per piece. It is all circa 1980 plus or minus a couple of years. The hardware is still usable. Though few use hexs much any more.

Regardless of storage the soft goods (ropes and slings) will degrade from oxidation. Thus are not safe for climbing. Some people make rugs out of old ropes. Horsepackers like the ropes and they can be used for swings. If you do not get any offers those it on fleabay.
touchingrocks wrote:Do you have a size for the gloves?
l-xl
Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Any relationship with Jack Durrance of Teton fame?

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Enough of this bs!
The gear is 'Fine' for Top Roping ! (User beware, ya gonna die!)
You all have what 5 -10 years in the game? 20 years ? You are still wet behind the ears!
I still climb with all that hard-ware, so do many others that show up at the Gunks Twice a year.
I am not suggesting that you folks with plenty of $$ use this lame stuff, but as a start , using the ropes doubled or for short Top Roping you are not going to break even the that crazy pink tat.
Is the black and also the white, flat not tubular?
Is any of the Webbing stiff, noticeably damaged or thread bear? Then it's questionable
(well, I admit it all is, that)
The white stuff might be the oldest?
If you fall hard enough to show stress on the " Straps or Cord, you will have bigger problems to worry about!

EDIT :
Ok I've looked at it "full size".
yikes
HEY! I think it is a 'Tie-on' Harness! (Any markings?)
the blue rope IS - oh my god old- looking green and fuzzy-
I would only use it for anchoring a Top rope, if the stretch is not to bad.
the faded " Edelweiss ? "Is from around 1982! I'd guess?
They made great cords that still hold up, I've got a 8.8ml, 55m that is still pristine, and good for third class Mnt travel.

Erik · · Goose Creek, SC · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

That blue rope is an Edelweiss Rocklight 9.8mm.

the yellow edelweiss has never been used

gloves are large-xl and sorry no relation to Jack Durrance that I know of

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Are there any size markings, or , a maker's tag on the harness?
Does it have ' LOOPS' at the ends of the ' waist belt part? Or a strap and buckle?
If it has the Loops?! How long is it what is your waist size how far around your waist does it go?

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I'll give you $60 for all the metal and the blue gear sling. Throw the nylon in the dumpster, yeah it might be fine but at today's prices it's not worth the risk. JB

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "old vintage chouinard stoppers, hexentrics"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.