Black Diamond Stance Belay Parka sizing

Original Post
Atholl de-Saint · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

Hi folks,
looking online at a BD Stance Belay Parka, size XL.

Have read a few reviews saying the sizing is too big. I want a regular fit for daily use. I'm a 45 at best chest, 6ft 3 and big shoulders and it suggests I should have an XL but that would gove me a couple of inches and I don't like loose fitting jackets. For reference, I'm an XL in Arcteryx, Large in Mountain Equipment, Patagonia and TNF

So, any pointers on fit as I can't find any locally in either a large or XL to try on.
Cheers, Den

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 2,958

It's A BELAY parka so it fits loose with room so you can later it over all your other layers. If you want it to fit closer maybe go down a size.

Better to check for yourself but I think BD sizing as other companies are body measurements not garment dimensions. Then they specify the type of fit the garment has. Either athletic, regular or loose etc.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438

Second what rocknice said, the stance belay parka is cut to fit over all the layers you would be climbing in. I am 5'8" and 158lbs, I wear a medium in most all brands.

I swim in my stance belay parka. I can wear it over an dead bird nuclei without compressing the nuclei much. It's big. Here it is over a light base layer, BD compound fleece, montbell thermawrap puffy vest, and BD access LT hybrid hoody:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOSkt1xhsNa/

You will want to size down. I would highly recommend getting the cold forge hoody over the stance parka for casual use. The down blend will keep it's loft for many years, the cut is right in your normal size for wearing over one layer, and it just feels warm immediately upon putting it on. All synthetics seems to take a while to absorb some body heat before you feel it being held in.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply